[SOLVED] Unable to change permissions for folders contained in a ntfs mounted partition.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ihell

[SOLVED] Unable to change permissions for folders contained in a ntfs mounted partition.

Post by ihell »

fstabscreenshot.png
I am using Linux Mint 18.2. I have a ntfs type partition for basic data. I have two user accounts(administrator and a standard) on system.Currently Both users have rw permissions of partition data. I want to remove the rw permissions for standard user.But unable to do. I already tried - changing ownership of the partition using chown,changing permissions using setfacl command,manually changing through Partition-Properties-Permissions . But nothing works and still standard user is able to access the data contained in the Partition.Added output of 'cat /etc/fstab' command.

Please Help.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Unable to change permissions for folders contained in a ntfs mounted partition.

Post by catweazel »

ihell wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:05 am But nothing works and still standard user is able to access the data contained in the Partition.
Welcome to one of the major limitations of ntfs; security.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to change permissions for folders contained in a ntfs mounted partition.

Post by altair4 »

Crikey.

Since both users have rw permissions to the partition you must have an entry in /etc/fstab to define it. Please post the output of this command so the folks here can see how it's set up:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
Unlike a Linux filesystem where you can change permissions after it is mounted you have to define permissions when the partition is mounted on an NTFS partition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ihell

Post by ihell »

Added the output of

cat /etc/fstab
command.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This would have been a lot easier for me if you had posted it as text in your post ........

Anyway, as far as I can tell this is how Disks defined your mount:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/B4282D6C282D2EB4 /mnt/B4282D6C282D2EB4 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
But you want this:
I have two user accounts(administrator and a standard) on system.Currently Both users have rw permissions of partition data. I want to remove the rw permissions for standard user.
So change the mount to this:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/B4282D6C282D2EB4 /mnt/B4282D6C282D2EB4 auto uid=ihell,umask=077,nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
Change ihell to your "administrator" user name.

Then unmount the partition:

sudo umount /mnt/B4282D6C282D2EB4
And remount it with this command:

sudo mount -a
uid=ihell will make ihell the owner of the mounted partition.
umask=077 will remove all permissions from group and others.

The result will be that only ihell has access to the partition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ihell

Post by ihell »

Sorry for the inconvenience you have due to wrong post.

But my problem is solved & Thanks much for the help.

Have a nice day.

Return to “Other topics”