Unexpected shutdowns

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Snickers

Unexpected shutdowns

Post by Snickers »

Hello there,

I am literally loosing my mind here. I have been using Mint for 1 month now. Now for the last 7 days the Laptop (on battery mode) sometimes just unexpectedly shuts down. And I don't mean like a normal shutdown...it just instantly looses power as if someone pulled a plug (note: the battery is not empty, happened several times between 50-90% of charge).

This is my system:
https://gist.github.com/6877e70014eaf82 ... e770ba7d35

Please help I am constantly afraid of the laptop shutting down. Dont really know what to do anymore. I will provide any necessary information for fixing this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Unexpected shutdowns

Post by Cosmo. »

Does this happen in battery mode only?

Possibly the battery is old and reports wrong information to the system. Try to bring (at least a part of) the capacity back:

Let the laptop run in battery mode. Short before the battery is empty plug the power cable in and let it load the battery to 100%. Only then remove the power cord again and repeat the procedure several times. The principle is to not plug or unplug the cable during the loading / unloading time.

Otherwise it might be the time for a new battery.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Unexpected shutdowns

Post by Moem »

If it happens in both battery and plugged in mode, it could be overheating. In that case, I'd install psensor so you can keep an eye on the temperature.
If it seems high:
Maybe the fan is faulty or the machine is full of dust? Maybe the thermal paste is too old and not doing its job anymore?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Other topics”