[Closed for now] Mint 18.3 Sylvia xfce and a PCI Conexant HCF modem- can do?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peterjack

[Closed for now] Mint 18.3 Sylvia xfce and a PCI Conexant HCF modem- can do?

Post by Peterjack »

Hi all,

Just FYI I have read everything I can Google on this, but it all seems to be very old. I have a perfectly good working modem on an XP tower that I've turned into a dual boot home network storage server. I also happen to pay $10 a month to EarthLink for dial-up access mainly to maintain old websites on their space and my wife's e-mail address.

SO- it seems it is quite hard to get "native" Linux drivers for this modem. In fact, nearly impossible except for pay and even those do not match Mint. I can learn rebuilding the Kernel, but certainly NOT my first choice!!!

Being a dual boot XP machine, I have ready and easy access to the original 32 bit XP driver- would it be easier maybe to explore ndiswrapper for this driver??

Ideas and links welcome, I just imaged the disk in case I need to recover from a disaster. -Pete

[For candidate modem in: 03:03.0
0780 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem
Primary device ID: 14f1:1036
Support type needed or chipset: hcfpcimodem]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 18.3 Sylvia xfce and a PCI Conexant HCF modem- can do?

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Peterjack

Post by Peterjack »

@jimallen Thanks much for a reply! I am aware of site mentioned, searched it extensively, but no drivers found compatible with Mint or anything recent without Kernel Mod that I could find- did I miss something? I do gather that Ubuntu 16x and Mint are usually compatible. Am I overly concerned about having to modify the kernel?

Have a great weekend! -Pete
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

They haven't done anything with those drivers in years. You might try one that's intended for Debian. Or, download the source code and compile it yourself. At this point, I would not expect it to be easy. If I couldn't get it going within a few hours of messing with it, I'd probably just buy a different modem.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Peterjack

Post by Peterjack »

Thanks again for your reply. LAST question on this subject: You yourself, would you investigate using ndiswrapper for the XP 32 bit driver you already had, or not. -Pete
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Couldn't hurt to try. I have only used ndiswrapper once, when I installed Linux on my sister's computer for her. It worked well. I think it took me maybe an hour or two to research how to do it and get it set up.
Peterjack

Post by Peterjack »

Thank you- I'll mark it closed for now and update if I solve it for others. I was able to obtain the Dell hsf.deb files today which I have read might work. Like you say, even though I am stubborn about letting a computer win, USB modems are a dime a dozen these days so at some point... I'd just really enjoy solving this. -Pete

Return to “Other topics”