Computer won’t boot up the OS

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vajogiro
Level 1
Level 1

Computer won’t boot up the OS

Post by vajogiro » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:26 am

So what happened is that my computer won’t properly boot. It gets to the start of booting the OS and displays an error message saying that there’s a “kernel panic”...
A51CCE61-2B42-4ABC-9AED-7885EF57DA5D.jpeg
Can I possibly fix this without backups or is it dead?

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Computer won’t boot up the OS

Post by Pepi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

Can you go into the Advanced mode on GRUB and boot from another Kernel? You may need to hold the Shift key down at bootup to get to the menu mode

vajogiro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajogiro » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 am

Pepi wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am
Can you go into the Advanced mode on GRUB and boot from another Kernel? You may need to hold the Shift key down at bootup to get to the menu mode
Nope. I was stupid enough not to update my system and stook to the old version that I installed...

mrjimphelps
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrjimphelps » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Make a Linux Live DVD or flash drive and try to boot to that, to verify that there is no hardware problem causing this.

I'm not sure how to fix it if the problem is with Linux; but at least you could test it by doing this.

Likely if your Linux Live DVD or flash drive is the exact same version and bittedness (32 vs 64) of Linux as what is installed on your computer, you could probably use the Linux Live media to assist with the repair.

rumplestiltskin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumplestiltskin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:30 am

Received a similar message the morning after installing an SSD into my Dell and installing Mint "Sylvia" with all the updates recommended by the system. Didn't matter what I did; could not boot from the DVD (even though that's designated as priority boot over HD). Used F12 (probably only applicable to my Dell) to get to the Grub boot screen but it didn't matter what I selected; it always ended in the kernel panic. I ended up removing the SSD and replacing it with the original HD (which had exactly the same installation of Mint on it and works perfectly). I did run a number of tests on the SSD from my Mac and it's fine so I guess I'll re-purpose it. Here's my screenshot (from my cellphone):
KernalPanicMintDell2.jpg

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:00 pm

From live usb.
1.1. Run the command,

Code: Select all

sudo su
1.2. Then the command, to see which partition has your OS.

lsblk -f
1.3. After the command, where X is your OS partition.

mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
1.4. Now you have to mount, bind and chroot mnt, with the follow command,

mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys && mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && chroot /mnt

1.5. To verify that you are in the right partition run the command.

lsb_release -a
1.6. If for any reason something went wrong run exit command to execute again the procedure.

exit

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade
This will install the new kernel that you had not upgraded.
Reboot.

Return to “Other topics”