Hibernation: recovery doesn't work

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hrabě
Level 1
Level 1

Hibernation: recovery doesn't work

Post by Hrabě »

Hello,
I would like to ask if there is anybody with working recovery from hibernation status on laptop Dell Latitude E7440.
Set to hibernate state is OK.
Resume from hibernate state leads to black screen and it needs to be shut it down by hardware button.

HW configuration is follows:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Latitude-E7440 Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Latitude E7440 v: 00
           Mobo: Dell model: 0JNYGR v: A02 Bios: Dell v: A22 date: 10/18/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-4600U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 2693 MHz 2: 2693 MHz 3: 2693 MHz 4: 2693 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.13.0-36-generic
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM driver: e1000e
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: 34:e6:d7:3c:d1:e4
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: d8:fc:93:55:81:2e
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 256.1GB (15.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SSD_PM85 size: 256.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 32G used: 7.8G (26%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-2: /home size: 189G used: 16G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 14.34GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 232 Uptime: 1:13 Memory: 2581.9/11914.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 

free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          11914        2805        6929         251        2179        8542
Swap:         13671           0       13671

swapon -s
Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
/dev/sda2                              	partition	14000124	0	-1

lsblk 
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 238,5G  0 disk 
├─sda4   8:4    0 192,1G  0 part /home
├─sda2   8:2    0  13,4G  0 part [SWAP]
├─sda3   8:3    0  32,6G  0 part /
└─sda1   8:1    0   476M  0 part /boot/efi
I'm quite new in Linux, I'm sorry for this noob question. I have tried to find out some solution over the internet but without solution which would worked for me.
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Hibernation: recovery doesn't work

Post by AZgl1800 »

Mine: Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Hibernate and Suspend on some PCs don't work.

on my laptop here, I have had to turn OFF all power management, all settings are now "NEVER"

that fixed my lockup problems because I never allow it to go into hibernate or suspend.

see if you can use ALT-Sysreq R E I S U B or R E I S U O
to shut it down w/o having to use the Power Button.

wait a few seconds between each of those letters for the system to respond, as it is already locked up and having problems acknowledging the keyboard.

at the end of my work period, I just choose Shutdown and turn the pc off for the night.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I always set Power settings to "Never" or "Do Nothing", and remove "Hibernation", 'cause they ain't nuthin' but trouble.
If you are tired of your computer pulling a "Rip Van Winkle', then disable those features, then all will be well.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Hrabě
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hrabě »

Thanks a lot for responses.
Suspend to RAM seems to work without any glitch for me, so I have get rid off hibernation feature.

Anyway, if anybody who is reading this topic and hibernation is working on his/her E7440, please let me know which steps are needed to make it working.
Thanks.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Hrabě wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:05 amHello,
I would like to ask if there is anybody with working recovery from hibernation status on laptop Dell Latitude E7440.
Resume from hibernate state leads to black screen and it needs to be shut it down by hardware button.
You are running kernel 4.13. I know that is the preferred kernel due to the recent Meltdown and Spectre malware issues. However, you can try to start with an earlier kernel to see if the problem persists. When you boot to the Grub menu, choose Advanced options and then choose an older kernel. Then try hibernating the laptop again.

You can also try creating a new user account and logon with that account and see if the problem goes away. I don't know how likely that is to happen but it's always a good test. You should probably have an extra user account anyway, just in case.

Your swap partition is about 15gb and that should be sufficient for swapping and hibernation for the amount of RAM you have installed.
cybra7md

Post by cybra7md »

CaptainKirksChair wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:40 pm
Hrabě wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:05 amHello,
You are running kernel 4.13. I know that is the preferred kernel due to the recent Meltdown and Spectre malware issues. However, you can try to start with an earlier kernel to see if the problem persists. When you boot to the Grub menu, choose Advanced options and then choose an older kernel. Then try hibernating the laptop again.

You can also try creating a new user account and logon with that account and see if the problem goes away. I don't know how likely that is to happen but it's always a good test. You should probably have an extra user account anyway, just in case.

Your swap partition is about 15gb and that should be sufficient for swapping and hibernation for the amount of RAM you have installed.

Running kernel 4.10 did solve the issue but as you said running kernel 4.13 is preferred. so is this a problem with this kernel version or this issue is happening only to certain devices? and is there any way to know what causing this issue if it's occurring only to certain devices?

thanks.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Just a thought. Maybe the newer kernel is looking for a swap file instead of swap partition? Did you run mkswap command when creating it? Looks to me it's set up correctly on your system. However, let's see if it's set as type 82 instead of 83.

-l is small L in below command.

fdisk -l
cat /etc/fstab
Swap File Creation
https://www.tecmint.com/create-a-linux-swap-file/

Swap Partition Creation
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/E4 ... 02s03.html
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Other topics”