Forum Spell Checker SOLVED

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Forum Spell Checker SOLVED

Post by WHVW » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Just wondering:

If I misspell a word here, it gets underlined in red, a normal result and what you would expect. However, if it isn't a typo, and I really don't know how to spell the word, I have to cut'n'paste it into a word processor, or get the dictionary. If the Forum can detect spelling errors, then surly the correction function must be......somewhere?
Last edited by WHVW on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrEen
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Fourm Spell Checker

Post by MrEen » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 pm

I'm pretty sure the spell checking is being done by your browser. Maybe right clicking on the underlined word will give you options?

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi WHVW,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I am pretty sure as well that your browser and any browser add-on extensions control the spell checking. It is possible that the Mint Forum phpBB software also has a spell checking plugin, but I do not think the Linux Mint forum maintainers offer or use it.

There are desktop spell checkers available as well.

When you see a red underlined word, just right-click it or highlight it and then right-click it, and the pop-up menu that comes up shows the recommended words at the top.

There are some excellent browser spelling and grammar checkers like the incredible "Grammarly" which is available for all browsers, LanguageTool Grammar Checker, etc... Grammarly can do much more than just check spelling and grammar, like provide definitions, history, etc.. FYI: I have a screen formatting issue with the newer Firefox and Grammarly in my Linux Mint 18.2 KDE system when posting or replying in this forum, but not in any of the many other browsers I have installed, so I use LanguageTool in that? Opera users can install the "Chrome Extension add-on" and then install Chrome extensions like Grammarly.

Grammarly for Chrome - Chrome Web Store (for all Chrome and chromium based browsers)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lhen?hl=en

Grammarly for Firefox – Add-ons for Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ammarly-1/

LanguageTool Grammar Checker
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... t-homepage

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 am

This is not a feature of the forum, but of the browser. If the browser recognizes a misspelled word (or at least thinks, that it is misspelled), than you should see by right clicking it the suggestions and also the ability to add the word to your personal wordbook, so that it does not get marked as mistyped in the future. Details depend from your browser.

WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Forum Spell Checker

Post by WHVW » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks all:

So let's see: anyone (I purposely misspelled it) is underlined, I will right-click on it and.. Voilà! It works! just select the right correction and you are all set!
It always pays to ask. Frankly, I never knew that the browser even had a spell-checker! So I learned two things.
Thanks

MrEen
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Forum Spell Checker[color=#FF0000]SOLVED[/color]

Post by MrEen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Kewl :D

Return to “Other topics”