Post on facebook tried to install a virus

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
stargazerpjs
Level 1
Level 1

Post on facebook tried to install a virus

Post by stargazerpjs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 am

Well that was interesting, scrolling down my facebook feed when a news story post caught my eye, clicked on it to read more and open the story. I was taken to a page where a recorded voice and notice on the screen informed me that Microsoft had detected a virus on my computer that is affecting my windows installation with 1800 phone numbers to call, I noticed that a windows program (virus) tried to install on my system. Boy I am glad I ditched windows years ago. :)
Phil
Mount Gambier, South Australia
My main Workstation Mint LMDE
XFCE Cinnamon and other distros my other two systems
As well as other Mint and Distros like Lite, MX etc on Wife and Kids systems

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Post on facebook tried to install a virus

Post by jimallyn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 am

Sounds like you need to install uBlock Origin and maybe Privacy Protector Plus and/or Privacy Badger in your browser.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:04 am

No surprise, Facebook quite full of virus. Frankly I consider it to be a Virus. Why they host that kind of stuff? is just one reason.

I don't use it, but my mom does, and several times now after clicking on something the browser locks with some warning / demand in red. I didn't pay much attention to what the warning says, except that it wants a password, and can't be clicked away. Anyway, lucky for her she does not know the password. I just kill and restart FF and away she goes again.
Last edited by rickNS on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 am

Facebook is :twisted:

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:21 am

stargazerpjs wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 am
I was taken to a page where a recorded voice and notice on the screen informed me that Microsoft had detected a virus on my computer that is affecting my windows installation with 1800 phone numbers to call, I noticed that a windows program (virus) tried to install on my system.
"If you close this page before calling us, we will be forced to disable your computer to prevent further damage to our network."

That one? I recorded their funny message.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi stargazerpjs,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

This is becoming more frequent on all computer operating systems, including Linux and Linux Mint, from various websites and some web-based applications like Facebook. Luckily for Linux users, most of these would not affect your Linux system.

IMHO, the very first thing you should do when you see a message like this is to immediately kill your browser or application, do not close it like you would normally or click any pop-windows and message boxes, just kill it, using the Kill application keystrokes (Ctrl+ALT+Esc, cursor changes to special kill application cursor, then click the application) or use console terminal kill application command options. It is when users click those type of messages or try to close the pop-up windows or the application, that these scumbag malware creators will try to execute bad commands and infect your system, of course as soon as you see these type of messages, it could already be infecting your system.

It helps others if you can remember exactly what you were doing, what website or application, which browser, and more specifically which Facebook post, or message, etc...

If you are not already using the excellent "Firejail" sandboxing application with all your Internet-enabled applications, then I recommend that you install and use that right away.

I had this happen to me doing something else other than Facebook, I killed the browser, restarted my system and the browser, and all was okay. I even booted to my Kaspersky anti-virus anti-malware DVD and ran a system scan check overnight to make sure my system was okay, and it was.

Beware of Windows/MacOS/Linux Virus Spreading Through Facebook Messenger
https://thehackernews.com/2017/08/faceb ... cking.html

The Hacker News - Facebook issues
https://cse.google.com/cse?q=facebook&c ... gsc.page=1

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Other topics”