Built WINE - now how to use it?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EdB
Level 1
Level 1

Built WINE - now how to use it?

Post by EdB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 pm

I wanted a more up-to-date version than what is on the 18.3 distro, so I grabbed the git from winehq, followed the instructions and I'll be damned if it didn't build, and without any apparent issues! Well done, guys!

I then ran 'make install' and again things screamed across the terminal and it completed without obvious error.

So now, I assume that I have the absolute latest Wine 3.2 on my machine, but I do not have any menu entries or mouse button "Run with .." options. How do I get those?

For example, I want to start simple, and test this with installing TextPad, which has an installer txpeng542.exe. Do I install it from the terminal, with 'wine txpeng543.exe', or is there something more devious that I need to do?

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Built WINE - now how to use it?

Post by Flemur » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 pm

EdB wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 pm
For example, I want to start simple, and test this with installing TextPad, which has an installer txpeng542.exe. Do I install it from the terminal, with 'wine txpeng543.exe', or is there something more devious that I need to do?
That's it. In a file browser you can set "Open with wine" for .exe, etc, if not already done automagically.

FWIW, I install programs to "C:\pgms\program-name" (=~/.wine/drive_c/pgms/)rather than "Program Files" so there's no space in the pathname.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

EdB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Built WINE - now how to use it?

Post by EdB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Well, as it turns out, I could not find a wine program, but I did have a wine64. So apparently I built a 64 bit version of wine (the VM is 64-bit).

Anyway, I used that with the txpeng542.exe, and got a message about not being able to find a compatible mono or a compatible gecko. I went out and got mono from mono-project.com (again, not using the one in the distro), ran the short test diagnostic they recommend and all looked okay.

I then tried to do 'wine64 txpen542.exe' and got an error
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\txpen542.exe"

Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions? Other than building Wine and pulling mono over, the VM is still pretty much pristine - all I have installed via the Software Manager are eclipse, g++, Checkinstall, and git, nothing else.

Return to “Other topics”