What are good free open source streaming platforms? I want to make my own radio station

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

What are good free open source streaming platforms? I want to make my own radio station

Post by fruitkiller »

I read how it is so very easy to broadcast what you are listening to, but not necessarily while you do, as you can turn down the sound and leave a sizeable playlist, with Audacious.

What would be a good site that's not some unknown place or a trial of a few days and then we're charging yet again for yet again another service. I have had experience doing my own radio station/podcast before, but it was in Windows 7 using VLC.

Right now, I don't really need technical help, I think I'm good, I'm a musician and have been playing around with advanced sound cards and even made my own WInamp remote in grade 12, needed a receptor box and a little coding and it was prretty easy, so I'm used to sound cards with mixers in them for example (I have one). What I can't seem to find is a good place to stream, that is not a ghost town, or a trialsite. I'm sure a good open source without fees streaming website exists somewhere, but I'm really tired right now, I looked for over an hour at duckduckgo results, then startpage but then I got really tired.

Anybody with some experience, their feedback would be welcome but really just anybody who knows of a great audio streaming site, like, I imagine stations are classified by the genres and has a large enough population that makes it worth it.

Would be much appreciated, thanks for your attention if you read this and better if you have something to reply :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fruitkiller

Re: What are good free open source streaming platforms? I want to make my own radio station

Post by fruitkiller »

My pay-list for iptables blocks this domain, names it VMIHOAG. Not sure what that is, maybe it's just a hosting company with bad practices, they end up sometimes in the monthly updates.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What are good free open source streaming platforms? I want to make my own radio station

Post by phd21 »

Hi fruitkiller,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are some good posts on this already in this forum.

You can use various applications and websites for this. The last post I answered on this topic they were using Mixxx and a Radionomy Shoutcast account.

There are many places offering free and paid for streaming hosting services, like radionomy, that support either the icecast or Shoutcast / Radionomy protocols.

Relevant post - Help with PS3 Eye Webcam - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261115&hilit=mixxx

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Thanks, I will unblock the domain from the link I was given to icecast, if I could run icecast from my VPS, it would be perfect, dunno why the domain is blocked, but I know HOAG is a german registrar, I think, right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi fruitkiller,

I am not sure if that HOAG is a German registrar or not, what general area are you located in? If you search for "free streaming shoutcast or icecast audio hosting", you should get some good results. I use radionomy (shoutcast).

free streaming shoutcast or icecast audio hosting - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

I spoke of the very useful link (once I whitelisted the IP address, I meant web host, not registrar, but what administrollaattori linked me to got blocked by my weekly updated ipblock/iptables list, said it was VMIHOAG. I whitelisted it and there wasn't a rush of other undesirable hosts trying to connect to me, well, my vps connection and It's a very good tutorial on how to do it, but like I said, I know pretty much how to do it, in some ways anyway, I did host a weekly live podcast using VLC while on Windows 7, but right now I want music to be playing while there's no talk show being done, so icecast and such seem ideal.

Although, it didn't help me regarding the second and just as important, maybe more, because i'm not a noob to broadcasting, audio or video, or audio/video. When I speak of a place where a lot of people doing podcasting/broadcasting audio where there is a good sizeable crowd of people already which is open source, not the kind that you gotta pay or trialware. I miss that site where you could just push the record button and it would broadcast and record as a file when done for free, I forgot the name, but they were a free service, but they started charging. Hence why I'm looking into probably doing it from my VPS, have my own website, maybe, if I can't find a good, populated podcasting streaming service that's got a lot of people and is open source, as in totally free like the site I'm thinking of that would let you record from the website for 1 hour, broadcast it at the same time, with a chatbox, to the right, similar to classic IRC interfaces.

A good friend of mine and medium size crowd following his stuff, enough to have a Patreon and a couple k a month coming in, used to use mixlr, http://mixlr.com/,that's what I was thinking of. But now they abandoned the free service after 15 or 30 days and then one has to pay. He did all his streams through mixlr for a long time and then he had to have someone help him put his own stream on his own website. Which I find great, remember when people had websites ? And social media existed although people didnt call it social media? (forums such as this exist since the late 90's), IRC, which Discord will not kill, nevermind how much they want to do so) Anyway enough old man rant here. But yeah, I wish somebody simple like mixlr was around, and it had a rather larger bank of listeners last time I asked the guy. But I think I'm going to go with icecast, that guide in the first reply I got. I'll be trying this, but then I will have to find a crowd to advertise the podcast, maybe spreaker, I know one can upload some stuff for free on there, a monthly limit if you are not a paying user, but as I am just restarting an old project, itt could be appropriate for now.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i have no idea if this is of any help or not but here goes nothing...where i live in new mexico, once in a while one of the local radio stations goes down since they are now being run mostly by computers,(yep...they are using windows based computers)...i then get a phone call and they ask me to broadcast for them by connecting to their aux. computer via team viewer where i then plug in my USB music library which is quite extensive with everything from swing era, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s some 90s and some 2000s rock, pop, country, etc....since i also have mic and video capabilities built in i can even do their station identifications etc. along with telling their listening audience that we are broadcasting from my home studio in the interim while the station crew IT people repair the problems...so far its worked flawlessly and their audience feed back has been very good with comments of how professional it all still sounds...and i guess it should sound professional...i used to broadcast/DJ for 2 major radio stations back in the 80s back in massachusetts...DAMIEN
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Thanks a lot, it helps a bunch. But I think I found, maybe the solution.

A free site, that I pay the owner of on patreon, a mix of a image uploading place and also where one can record themselves with a 5 hour time limit, I only need 30-45 minutes to start, when you're done you press stop and there it goes, it gives you the choice of saving a 128 bit mp3 or a mp3 version2 (lower bitrate, works well if all you really do is talk, but I intend on it being 70% talk, 30% music.

Unfortunately the site I recalled, mixlr, has no free accounts anymore, but apparently it made it very easy, Now I have to figure out how to have the site record music I play from Audacious. Or, I could just record the stream using Audacious' Record Stream option, which seems pretty easy, like when I used to do it with VLC. But I don't intend, at least at first, to be "Live", I would use icecast, maybe, depends on how difficult it would be to install on my VPS, my VPS comes with a lot of software and guides on how to install them, which would be rather hard for me, as it's all done through ssh, basically a gentoo environment. One can install a program if the owners are okay with it but they won't give help for software they are not providing help for installing as extra services. At first I intend to play a recording as if I was live. Then when I get more comfortable, go ahead and do it, but it's a big step up, but I bought a real good mic that plugs only through spdif and it's got this dentist type of thing where it's drilled to a wall and I can grab it from all sorts of angles. I'll see if the guy's site will allow me to play music and have it come out as if it was from a mic, in Windows, I know a fun little program called FakeCam or such, where one can broadcast audio and video as if it was from a mic or webcam, but I know of nothing like this on Linux, also it worked on Yahoo Messenger, not something I will ever re-install, even if it can somehow be emulated, Yahoo's dead to me since a long time, but especially since those email breaches of practically everyone. Thankfully my first non-ISP email address...I had kind of abandoned it since about a decade when they announced that in 2015 or 16?

Some tips on how to make your system appear as if the mic is what is coming out of your speakers would be nice, for the music parts of my idea which I'm still tinkering with, what is great is that I have an assured audience of about 50 people, so I won't be just a voice in the wilderness when I can actually do it.

Return to “Other topics”