A newbie's way to access the SN8F2288 microcontroller through USB

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EmilotMargus
Level 1
Level 1

A newbie's way to access the SN8F2288 microcontroller through USB

Post by EmilotMargus » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Good day everyone, hope I'm posting in the right place with my question.

So recently I decided to try and move away from C# and Windows and lean more towards Python on Linux, and for a while now I've had a project in mind, but I honestly don't even know where to start with it.
I have a keyboard with a small 96k on-board memory for storing macros. ( G800V ) Since I don't really like using them at all, I wanted to try and actually access the chip inside this thing and put whatever I want there. So far I've taken the keyboard apart to see which chip it is. It's the SN8F2288 and with that I also got it's datasheet, but here I'm completely stuck.
So basically my question is, where should I go from here? What should I learn, or what should I experience with to even touch whatever is on this chip?
Thanks for all the help in advance!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: A newbie's way to access the SN8F2288 microcontroller through USB

Post by jimallyn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Good day, and welcome to the Linux Mint forums, EmilotMargus! That looks like a nice little microcontroller. Lots of useful peripherals. I'm guessing that the 96k storage you mention is a flash chip attached to the microcontroller? The SN8F2288 only has 12k of on chip storage. There is no operating system on a chip like that! In order to make the chip do something other than what it is currently programmed to do, you would have to learn to program in assembly/machine language for that chip. The instruction set is on page 151 of the manual. There is a manual for the assembler here:

www.sonix.com.tw/files/1/44B04598AA3B01 ... 7F01002549

It looks like the assembler is designed to run on Windows, but it might run in Wine, or perhaps in Windows or ReactOS in VirtualBox. I didn't look through the manuals enough to determine if you can program the chip easily over a USB connection, or if some sort of adapter is needed.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

EmilotMargus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EmilotMargus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 am

Ahh alright, so it seems like I'll probably need to re-install windows on a secondary HDD, and time to study a bit more Assembly, this should be fun. And thanks for that PDF, for some reason I didn't find it before. Thanks for the reply!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 am

EmilotMargus wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 am
this should be fun.
It most certainly will be! I haven't done much programming at all in recent years, but I used to do a lot of assembly language programming, on a variety of processors: 6502, 680x, Z80, 8080, 8085, F8, probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment. Did you have a look at the instruction set? When you look at what the processor will actually do, things like logical AND or OR of two 8 bit bytes, or add two 8 bit bytes (and set the carry flag if the result is larger than will fit in one byte), or set or clear a bit in memory, you think: how the heck can I do anything at all with just these few instructions? And I only have 512 bytes of RAM? Not megabytes, not even kilobytes, 512 bytes of RAM.

I did a little more looking around their website, and it looks like they do have a C compiler for it, so you could do that instead of assembly language. But where's the fun in that?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Other topics”