(Closed) Ramifications of Kernel swapping

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Massively ignorant
Level 2
Level 2

(Closed) Ramifications of Kernel swapping

Post by Massively ignorant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 pm

I have some questions about Kernel swapping, these came up in the context of my OP re; Key board and mouse lag / response delay. I thought an OP with kernel swapping as the topic might be useful to me and perhaps others. You may find it useful to peruse the whole of the thread; Key board and mouse lag / response delay, that thread has more information about my particular machine. [This is an edited summery of several message exchanges with Pjotr. Please note, I am not questioning Pjotr or his? advice. I just want to learn more about this subject.]

From Pjotr,
Try the latest kernel of the 4.13 series.
Me,
Pjotr, updating the kernel helped, the system is more nearly useful, … still some response delay. The keyboard still has a considerable delay. The mouse has less delay then previously, still over shoots and is hard to center over smaller action buttons. Again, overall an improvement in responsiveness, regrettably, not yet at the point where the response time is equal to other machines I have.
From Pjotr,
You might also try the latest kernel of the 4.4 series (currently 4.4.0-116).
Me,
Pjotr, I have done that, after I selected 4.4.116 in GRUB, I just got a blank screen.
I did a little searching around and found the Linux Kernel Archives, according to the site, the most recent stable Kernel is 4.15.7. I don't know how to find out the ramifications of messing around with Kernel changes, and will ask around to see if anyone would be willing to point me in the direction of a clear, if not simple, discussion of that.

I would be very grateful to anyone who takes the time to respond to this query.

Thank you and Respectfully, Massively ignorant
Last edited by Massively ignorant on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Ramifications of Kernel swapping

Post by Moem » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Mod note:
This topic was moved because kernels don't really fall under 'Software and Applications'.

Massively ignorant wrote:I did a little searching around and found the Linux Kernel Archives, according to the site, the most recent stable Kernel is 4.15.7.
That kernel is not being offered for Mint, and so it may not be compatible. I would not install any kernels from outside of the Mint repositories, in other words: I would stick with what can be found in the Update Manager.

Generally, swapping kernels is not very dangerous, since if a kernel turns out to be unsuitable for your system you can usually boot from an earlier kernel by choosing that in GRUB (the bootloader), and then remove the one that did not work. For that, you would use the Update Manager again.
Mint will by default (try to) load the newest kernel.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Massively ignorant
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ramifications of Kernel swapping

Post by Massively ignorant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Moem, thx-1138,

Thank you for your replies.

Moem, it was precisely because the 4.15.7 Kernel didn’t show up in the L.M. repository that I wanted to know more about Kernel swapping, but thanks for the reminder, using software that is in the repository, is most likely the best way to help keep your system healthy.

Thx-1138, I will check out the links you have provided. I will also try to find out more in regards your suggestion;

“Ie. it looks like the key term (and problem) here is Intel Core i5-8600K / current state of CoffeeLake support…”

In general it looks as if I’ve reached the limit of what Kernel swapping can achieve.

Again, thanks for all the help. Respectfully, Massively ignorant

Massively ignorant
Level 2
Level 2

Re: (Closed) Ramifications of Kernel swapping

Post by Massively ignorant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 pm

thx-1138,

I've taken the liberty of marking your post as off topic and requesting that it be moved to my post re Key etc. I've skimmed through the material you've provided, but I've gotten too tired to follow along, that and I'm using the machine that has the lag / response delay issues and that is both annoying and fatiguing. I'm also having difficulty focusing on the screen after looking at it for several hours, the small font does not help. So time to do something else, took me a long time to realize that it works better if you quit when you're tired.

So, again as always, thank you very much. Respectfully, Massively ignorant

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Massively ignorant, in the simplest possible terms:
before & above it all, enable i915.alpha_support=1 for your brand new CoffeeLake processor, no matter if using 4.13 or 4.15.
Your processor is not yet fully supported: with older kernels, you might not even boot correctly -
and without the above grub parameter set / enabled, you're gonna stumble upon all kinds of bizarre & unpredictable behavior.
Also, ditch the obsolete driver mentioned there, and make sure you have updated the firmware.

Altogether it's 3-4 commands to execute, ie. literally 5 mins work literally to do such, just copy/paste/enter, then reboot.
Will the above instructions automagically solve all of the current weirdo keyboard / mouse behavior?
Maybe yes maybe not. But it will resolve some core basic issues & it will provide some pre-eliminary support for your system though...

Massively ignorant
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Massively ignorant » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

thx-1138

Thanks again for your generous gift of your time.

If I may be so bold, would you consent to post your replies in regard my post Key Board and mouse lag / response delay issues, in that thread. That would certainly help me and it might help someone else experiencing the same difficulties, if there was only one thread dealing with this specific topic.

Again, with all due respect, I am going to request that your most recent post be moved to that thread, your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Again, I can not sufficiently thank you for your efforts and assistance. Now if I can just figure it out.....

Respectfully, Massively ignorant

Return to “Other topics”