unwanted 'script'/virus running

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mamapapashin
Level 1
Level 1

unwanted 'script'/virus running

Post by mamapapashin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:17 am

I am running mint18'Sarah'.
Every time i access the web , after a while my system slows down and becomes unusable, a msg pops up saying ' a script is running', the script is something like 'cas.eu.criteo.com.
How can stop this running permanently, as it keeps comming back after each time that I stop it?
Regards

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: unwanted 'script'/virus running

Post by smurphos » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 am

Criteo is an ad network and tracker - so you are seeing this when viewing a page with one of their ads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criteo

The simplest solution is to install an ad blocker in your browser and whilst you are at it disable third-party cookies to avoid this type of tracking. Delete your cookies having done that.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Re: unwanted 'script'/virus running

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm

smurphos is correct...what browser are you using?...i use for adblockers and anti-tracking extensions, the following...see if they are available in your browsers store...1-"ublock origin", (i enable ALL blockers in its "Options" "3rd party filters") and 2-"privacy badger" it will run automatically, no config necessary, and "minerblock"( its automatic)...that should be end of problem...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Other topics”