new user with encrypt /home

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
remydev

new user with encrypt /home

Post by remydev »

Hello

When I install a new mint, when creating the sudo account, I can choose to encrypt the /home.
But for a second user, how to encrypt the /home, i don't find a check boxe to do that.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: new user with encrypt /home

Post by xenopeek »

Depends on your version and edition of Linux Mint. Linux Mint 18.3 MATE and Xfce both have the option "Encrypt home folder to protect sensitive data" in their Users and Groups program when you add a new user. I don't know about KDE or earlier versions.

In Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon the option is not in Users and Groups. For that you should do the following, in this exact order:
  1. Create a new user account in Users and Groups;
  2. Open a terminal and run the command sudo ecryptfs-migrate-home -u newname where you replace newname with the username of the new user;
  3. After doing this you MUST logout or switch user and login to the new user (do NOT reboot or shut down before logging in to the new user!!!);
  4. If the new user can login without problems you can remove the backup of their home directory in /home;
  5. The new user should also run ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase from a terminal to record their mount passphrase — which they'll need to recover access to their files if they ever forget their password or can no longer login to their account for other reason; store it somewhere safe!
For more details see the ecryptfs-migrate-home manpage http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xen ... ome.8.html.
remydev

Re: new user with encrypt /home

Post by remydev »

Thanks
It's good for me.

Return to “Other topics”