How can I delay a service to start at boot?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sir Charles

How can I delay a service to start at boot?

Post by Sir Charles »

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if there is any command I can use or any file to edit in order to delay the start of a service at boot. For example, I wouldn't need vboxdrv.service to start with the rest of the system.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can I delay a service to start at boot?

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

You could use Boot Up Manager which I think is listed as BUM in Software sources
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

OunceofCommonSense wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm You could use Boot Up Manager which I think is listed as BUM in Software sources
Thanks for your reply!
I should have included in my post that I have already run BUM, but seemingly not all the services that I can see with systemctl list-unit-files --state enabled are listed there. I am particularly interested in delaying the start of vboxdrv.service, but it would be good to know, in general, if delaying a service is possible via terminal or otherwise by editing some file somehow.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I did that to networking, which was slowing boot times by a few minutes. It wasn't anywhere expected, but in a file called "failsafe.conf" in the /etc/init folder. That's NOT the file you need, it was only concerning the networking, but maybe in the same folder you can find one for vbox that will let you change something.

You should also check out the "Applications at Startup" program. Mine is in command "mate-session-properties",so if using another desktop, may be similar.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Other topics”