Is there a way to save/back up an specific Kernel Version ?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Is there a way to save/back up an specific Kernel Version ?

Post by pcfan5 »

I have updated my system from Kernel 4.10 to 4.13 , so that my USB WI -FI Adapter Device could work. (by the way it is a TP-link TL_WN722N).
I am under Linux Mint Mate 18.3 and it comes with Kernel 4.10 defaultly. However I am wondering if there is a way to save / backup the Kernel 4.13, for future clean installation ? Thanks in advanced.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is there a way to save/back up an specific Kernel Version ?

Post by all41 »

Unless you specifically chose to delete the earlier kernel it is still there in your system.
You can easily prove this at the grub startup screen--arrow down to choose Advanced options,
there you will see a list of bootable kernels.
You can choose to revert to your older one if your newest one is giving problems.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

pcfan5 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:04 pm However I am wondering if there is a way to save / backup the Kernel 4.13, for future clean installation ?
When/if you perform a clean installation of LM 18.3, you will have the same kernels available in the Update Manager.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hi fellows I think I wasn't clear enough with my last message. When you do a fresh installation of LM 18.3 you'll get Kernel 4.10. My Wi-Fi device only works under Kernel 4.13 , as I am far from my router/modem and this computer is a Desktop one, once I do a clean installation of LM (or anyother linux eg. Zorin OS) I have to move the CPU monitor and everything to the place where the modem is, so that I was wondering how to save/back up Kernel 4.13 now that I have it installed in my computer , so in the future I can do use of it , so my Wi-Fi Adaptor can work.
This adaptor doesn't have linux drivers for it self, and if it doesn't work I won't get internet access @Marziano :lol:
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

what you are asking would require that you re-master the .ISO file to include the 4.13 kernel. It is possible to do that but requires a learning curve.
This blog tells you how to do that. https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1784
It's not an easy process.

Other than that it might be possible to create your own local repository with all the files needed to upgrade the kernel saved in it but this would require that you build a personnel server or external data storage of some sort. this page can tell you how that would be done: https://www.tecmint.com/setup-local-rep ... in-ubuntu/

For me it's just best to upgrade the kernel and wait for the next release Which will have a newer kernel.
you could also make a temporary ethernet connection and upgrade the kernel on the new install.

Just my opinion , others may have a better way - Good luck.
Last edited by kc1di on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

pcfan5 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:46 am ...as I am far from my router/modem and this computer is a Desktop one, once I do a clean installation of LM (or anyother linux eg. Zorin OS) I have to move the CPU monitor and everything to the place where the modem is...
This adaptor doesn't have linux drivers for it self, and if it doesn't work I won't get internet access @Marziano :lol:
I am not a seer :wink: . Since you have done it once, I assumed it could be done a second time, @pcfan5 8)

BTW, you will find all the .deb packages for the installed kernels in /var/cache/apt/archives/. Copy all those from the kernel version you are interested in to a USB flashdrive. Install them in your freshly installed LM.
Good Luck!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Take a Timeshift snapshot of your good working system. then on your "future clean installation" restore that good working system. I have not done a restore personally (no need) but do hear it is reliable, and fairly quick. I think the advantage of this simple method is you get ALL your changes, and added extra software in one shebang.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

@Marziano and @ kc1di, thank you! very much!! :D

*update: I have jst find out de proper driver for the Wi-Fi adaptor is r8188eu , I will take a look in the folder you mentioned @Marziano to see if I found it there, or something related to it.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

pcfan5 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:46 amso that I was wondering how to save/back up Kernel 4.13 now that I have it installed in my computer , so in the future I can do use of it , so my Wi-Fi Adaptor can work.
You can save the .deb files that are in /var/cache/apt/archives (until you "clean" them).

E.g., for kernel 4.13.0-36, those files would be (for amd64):

Code: Select all

linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic_4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1_amd64.deb
linux-headers-4.13.0-36_4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1_all.deb
linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic_4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1_amd64.deb
linux-image-extra-4.13.0-36-generic_4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1_amd64.deb
You don't need to put them into your install media, just put them on a USB stick, copy them to a CD, whatever, then copy them into your new install when you need them; then install with

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
where *=those four files.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hi there @Flemur thank you so very much!!!, however i reget to say I don't have any of those deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives

I also made a search in / and I don't find them . I am underLM 18.3
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi @pcfan5,
For the reasons you mention, and that I maintain several machines, /var/cache/apt is regularly backed up
to external drives. This also saves a lot of duplicate downloading-especially important with data-capped internet plans.
I just copy the newly updated packages to the other machine's /var/cache/apt and the update manager looks there first-if it finds the newer
package there it installs it immediatley without needing to re-download them.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

all41 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:15 pm Hi @pcfan5,
For the reasons you mention, and that I maintain several machines, /var/cache/apt is regularly backed up
to external drives. This also saves a lot of duplicate downloading-especially important with data-capped internet plans.
I just copy the newly updated packages to the other machine's /var/cache/apt and the update manager looks there first-if it finds the newer
package there it installs it immediatley without needing to re-download them.
thank you, it is good to know! , however I wasn't able to find the mentioned kernel , there.. I also did "Ctrl+H"
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

pcfan5 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:13 pm I don't have any of those deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives

Hi pcfan5,

You can just download the packages for the kernel you are interested in (let's say 4.13.0-37 for example) by running the following commands:

apt download linux-image-4.13.0-37-generic
apt download linux-image-extra-4.13.0-37-generic
apt download linux-headers-4.13.0-37-generic
apt download linux-headers-4.13.0-37
You will be getting messages (if the packges in question are already installed) like:

The package linux-headers-4.13.0-37-generic is already installed. Its deb file was downloaded in the current directory.
And working from my home the current directory in my case was /home.
Hope this helps.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Thank you @Marziano , you are very kind! .
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ pcfan5, .......
pcfan5 wrote:.
Fyi, LM 19.0 with kernel 4.15 should be coming out in end May 2018 = only about 2 months to go. Better to wait for it or manually create a Timeshift snapshot of your functional LM 18.3 system.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

@pcfan5

You are welcome!

Return to “Other topics”