Starting coding

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Juanmac
Level 2
Level 2

Starting coding

Post by Juanmac »

Hi, i would like to start coding for the very first time, and i've been looking for a good coding basics book that gives me a little bit of the background knowledge needed to understand what i am doing when i start learning an specific language. Any recommendations??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Starting coding

Post by deepakdeshp »

I will recommend that you learn Python 3.x version. It is simple yet very powerful
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Juanmac
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Juanmac »

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm I will recommend that you learn Python 3.x version. It is simple yet very powerful
but im not talking about languages, i'm asking for books, exercises. I started reading about pseudo codes, cause i understand those are the programming basics..
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The best way is probably pick a language and start writing actual code. You can learn all the theory you want but until you start applying it in actual code you don't really understand it. The language you start with could depend on what kinds of things you want to do. Why are you interested in learning programming?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

JosephM wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 amThe best way is probably pick a language and start writing actual code. You can learn all the theory you want but until you start applying it in actual code you don't really understand it.
Indeed! It's rather like trying to learn a human language by just reading it.

OP: pick a project you want to do with your code, something simple to start with, and then do it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I agree on Python (or maybe PERL would be better?) for beginning coding. I'm not so sure however that pseudocode is going to be useful if you don't know any programming languages. But here's a pretty good pseudocode guide:

http://guyhaas.com/bfoit/itp/Pseudocode.html
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 am (or maybe PERL would be better?)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

I third the recommendation to start with Python. It's an easy language, and the variables can be declared on-the-fly without having to worry about casting. Don't be fooled by its ease to pick up; it's a very powerful language. In fact, it's probably the most popular language to use with AI and neural networks, and it has a large online community.

I'm not really sure what you mean by wanting to study pseudocode without delving into a particular language. All pseudocode is written in some language. The best way to learn is by doing. Look up some Python tutorials. There are many out there.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

otacon14112 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:06 pm I'm not really sure what you mean by wanting to study pseudocode without delving into a particular language. All pseudocode is written in some language.
My thoughts as well. I think doing some actual coding will make it easier to learn the concepts of how it works. I started out with CBM BASIC V2 on the Commodore 64 and later, in the quest for better speed & performance, decided to try writing simple machine code routines based on how I thought the BASIC commands were being interpreted. This worked and I ended up writing modules for display interrupts, mouse drivers etc. using the Action Replay cartridge's built-in assembler.
otacon14112 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:06 pm The best way to learn is by doing.
Exactly! :D Now, as for which language? Don't know enough about the candidates to suggest one myself, yet ...
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'll second/third the motion to learn by doing. Theory is great, I can write fantastic pseudo code but, making it work is a whole 'nother ballpark. On a related topic, what are the main uses of Python? Web dev? Standalone? SQL Access?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:43 pm I'll second/third the motion to learn by doing. Theory is great, I can write fantastic pseudo code but, making it work is a whole 'nother ballpark. On a related topic, what are the main uses of Python? Web dev? Standalone? SQL Access?
Python is used for pretty much everything. It's all over your Linux install. Many of Mint's own tools use it. While it's a great choice to learn with, it does depend a bit on what you want to do. If you are interested in game programming, desktop environment dev, graphics, etc. You might be better off learning something else.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Juanmac wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 am Hi, i would like to start coding for the very first time, and i've been looking for a good coding basics book that gives me a little bit of the background knowledge needed to understand what i am doing when i start learning an specific language. Any recommendations??
Start with a book about flowcharting. Then pick an easy-to-learn language like what has been mentioned here already (Python). Also, this site may help you in solving programming problems --> projecteuler.net
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

JosephM wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 am The best way is probably pick a language and start writing actual code. You can learn all the theory you want but until you start applying it in actual code you don't really understand it. The language you start with could depend on what kinds of things you want to do. Why are you interested in learning programming?
That pretty much nailed it ... the actual language syntax is not the hard or important part. Understanding the algorithms is. It's like mathematical problem solving ... if you're memorizing it you do not understand it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Other topics”