Permissions for DaVinci Resolve

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geomcd1949

Permissions for DaVinci Resolve

Post by geomcd1949 »

I downloaded and installed DaVinci Resolve. When I try to open it, I'm told I don't have permission to do so. I'm on Mint 18.3 and am the only user of the computer. Thanks!
~George
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vansloneker

Re: Permissions for DaVinci Resolve

Post by vansloneker »

I worked with DaVinci Resolve on a regular consumer PC running Windows, where I found it to be hopelessly unstable. Crash after crash.

Anyway I was curious about your question and downloaded and installed on my recent Mint 18.3 installation.
The manual wants to install using the root account. Since there is no root account in Mint I used sudo.
The installation reported an error:

Code: Select all

Extracting files...
tar: /usr/lib64: Cannot open: no such file or directory
tar: error is not recoverable: exiting now
./install.sh: line 49: Exit_With_Error: command not found
resolve: no process found\
Copying Resolve files...
(etc.)
bmdpaneld: no process found
Resolve System Updated
It does not start at all on my system, no errors, no crashes.

Not sure what your skills in video editing are but you may want to try ShotCut which is a very stable editor or OpenShot.
geomcd1949

Post by geomcd1949 »

Hi Vansloneker,

Thanks for the reply and the heads-up on Resolve on Windows. I wanted to test it on Linux, and that's why I tried to install it. I usually cut with Lightworks.

I'm wondering if there is a Mint Terminal command that would allow opening a downloaded program that apparently requires sudo privileges.

~George
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I don't know where DaVinci Resolve is installed and what the main executable file is but for as much as I know you could simply run it from a terminal opened in the installation folder using

sudo DaVinciResolveexecutable
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. If it still not works maybe you have to look into the rights of the installation folder, but I'm only guessing.

Earlier I've also tested Lightworks. This is a serious editor indeed. The trial limitations of saving to 720p only and re-registering every week kept me from continuing it.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I digged a bit deeper into this.

My desktop launcher does have a lock symbol on the icon. The properties say it should launch '/opt/resolve/bin/resolve'
The permissions of resolve were also for root. I changed them for my username. I tried to launch the regular way and from the terminal and with sudo. From the menu nothing happened. With sudo in the terminal

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libOpenCL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
In the terminal in the folder it said command not found even though I was in the correct folder and could see it using ls.

By the way I now removed it following these instructions.
antonymonteiro

Post by antonymonteiro »

Hey there, was facing the same problem so I changed the permission to the

/opt/resolve
folder

This is done by

sudo chmod 777 -R /opt/DaVinci_Resolve_15.1.2_Linux
Then make the resolve install file executable