Two sets of files...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Two sets of files...

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I have a master and a backup for my photos.

Some of the photos have been resized for posting, sharing and on-line exhibits. Unfortunately, the full size originals are on one drive and the downsized copies are on another, with the same file names.

I tried using rsync with the --ignore-existing and --size-only parameters, but of course this did not do what I want. I want to sync both drives so they have the larger size files on both drives. There are far too many to sort out and I'd like to be able to use a file transfer like rsync to mirror the drives with the larger files only.

Help me Obiwan-Kenobe...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
WharfRat

Re: Two sets of files...

Post by WharfRat »

Check your source/destination wiht the -i option rsync -nai ./setclock ../script/setclock

I added a blank line to ./setclock and

Code: Select all

[bill@XPS] ~/junk $ rsync -nai  ./setclock ../script/setclock 
>f.st...... setclock
[bill@XPS] ~/junk $ 
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 amUnfortunately, the full size originals are on one drive and the downsized copies are on another, with the same file names.
Couldn't you just copy the originals over the resized ones? Or is the directory structure too weird for that?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Flemur wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:54 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 amUnfortunately, the full size originals are on one drive and the downsized copies are on another, with the same file names.
Couldn't you just copy the originals over the resized ones? Or is the directory structure too weird for that?
There are a LOT of files in basic directories, but I want to sync them so the larger file appears on both mirrors. Also there are lots of directory levels in places.
Some of them have the small version on one mirror and the large version on the other, and vice-versa. :(
Last edited by Arch_Enemy on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

WharfRat wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am Check your source/destination wiht the -i option rsync -nai ./setclock ../script/setclock

I added a blank line to ./setclock and

[bill@XPS] ~/junk $ rsync -nai  ./setclock ../script/setclock 
>f.st...... setclock
[bill@XPS] ~/junk $ 
Is that -i as in ignore times?
Also, while I was a DOS bat file wizard, I don't get the setclock command in this use.

WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

The -i option outputs a change-summary for all updates, i.e. an itemized list of what action is being taken and for what reason.

The setclock script was modified in the current folder so it then shows that it will be synced with (copied to) the script of that name in ../script

The >f.st...... setclock means that the flle is being transferred to the destination due to both a size and time change.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

So, is it correctly specified to be "copy all files from under ./source/ to the same path under ./dest/ unless the destination already exists and has a larger filesize"? (note, FILEsize; if you are talking about image sizes this may or may not be the same thing and would need a different test). If so, I don't believe you can hang this off rsync in any direct manner; would need something "manual" such as

find source/ -type f -exec /bin/bash -c 'SRC="$1"; DST="dest/${SRC##source/}"; if [ ! -e "$DST" ] || [ $(stat -c %s "$SRC") -ge $(stat -c %s "$DST") ]; then echo cp -v "$SRC" "$DST"; fi' -- \{} \;
Remove the "echo" once satisfied this does what you want. Which it may not; this assumes the directory structure under ./source/ and ./dest/ equal. Supposedly tweakable as per actual need?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

rene wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:22 am So, is it correctly specified to be "copy all files from under ./source/ to the same path under ./dest/ unless the destination already exists and has a larger filesize"? (note, FILEsize; if you are talking about image sizes this may or may not be the same thing and would need a different test). If so, I don't believe you can hang this off rsync in any direct manner; would need something "manual" such as

find source/ -type f -exec /bin/bash -c 'SRC="$1"; DST="dest/${SRC##source/}"; if [ ! -e "$DST" ] || [ $(stat -c %s "$SRC") -ge $(stat -c %s "$DST") ]; then echo cp -v "$SRC" "$DST"; fi' -- \{} \;
Remove the "echo" once satisfied this does what you want. Which it may not; this assumes the directory structure under ./source/ and ./dest/ equal. Supposedly tweakable as per actual need?
Yeah, I want them to be mirrors with the same files/size in both. They have the same dir names. And the difference in file sizes is significant. The smaller ones are in the 100-400K region while the original files are 1.5~5MB area.

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:57 am Yeah, I want them to be mirrors with the same files/size in both.
A from the above evolved version as a script is below. DO NOT RUN this on you actual to-be-synchronized directories for now; I may have misinterpreted the intention and even if not, I may have simply screwed something up; in (ba)sh it's real easy to overlook something silly when not specifically testing with actual input. This potentially overwrites files (i.e., by keeping the larger sized one only) and you should therefore first test this on copies of said to-be-synchronized directories.

Save as, say, ~/bin/sync.sh, make executable (chmod +x ~/bin/sync.sh) and run as sync.sh dir1/ dir2/. Should synchronize the two directories, keeping the larger sized file only in case of conflict.

#!/bin/bash

copy() {
    find "$1" -type f -print0 | while read -d $'\0' SRC; do
        DST="$2${SRC##$1}"
        mkdir -pv $(dirname "$DST") && touch "$DST"
        [ $(stat -c %s "$DST") -ge $(stat -c %s "$SRC") ] && continue
        cp -v "$SRC" "$DST"
    done
}

[ -d "$1" ] && [ -d "$2" ] || exit

copy "$1" "$2"
copy "$2" "$1"
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

rene wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:05 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:57 am Yeah, I want them to be mirrors with the same files/size in both.
A from the above evolved version as a script is below. DO NOT RUN this on you actual to-be-synchronized directories for now; I may have misinterpreted the intention and even if not, I may have simply screwed something up; in (ba)sh it's real easy to overlook something silly when not specifically testing with actual input. This potentially overwrites files (i.e., by keeping the larger sized one only) and you should therefore first test this on copies of said to-be-synchronized directories.

Save as, say, ~/bin/sync.sh, make executable (chmod +x ~/bin/sync.sh) and run as sync.sh dir1/ dir2/. Should synchronize the two directories, keeping the larger sized file only in case of conflict.

#!/bin/bash

copy() {
        DST="$2${SRC##$1}"
        [ $(stat -c %s "$DST") -ge $(stat -c %s "$SRC") ] && continue
        cp -v "$SRC" "$DST"
    done
}

copy "$1" "$2"
copy "$2" "$1"
I saw what you did there. ;)

Yeah, that looks like it might work. I need to pick up a new drive soon, so before I load an OS on it I will probably clone the drive with the smaller files to it, and then try this out.

Thanks!

Is there a way to run it and just have it print what it WOULD do to std out?

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:13 pm Is there a way to run it and just have it print what it WOULD do to std out?
Not generally/nicely; the mkdir && touch line is explicitly there so as to not have to surround the next stat call with confusing guards; needs to run for functionality. Of course, non-generally, if it is actually the case that your files and directory structure under dir1/ and dir2/ fully match except only for possible size differences, that line does nothing interesting anyway so simply sticking an echo in front of the (mkdir, the touch and the) cp would in that case work.

But the better approach is cp -rv dir1 dir1.copy, cp -rv dir2 dir2.copy, sync.sh dir1.copy/ dir2.copy/. The script is purposefully chatty...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Arch_Enemy,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many file renamers that can easily change the original files in their folder or the modified files in their folder to have a suffix (or prefix), like "something-orig.xxx" or "something-mod.xxx". Look for "rename" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", like Krename, Gwenrename, pyrenamer, gprename, etc...

Hope this helps ...
krename_FoldersFiles1.jpg
krename_Destination1.jpg
krename_Filename1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

phd21 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:30 pm HI Arch_Enemy,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many file renamers that can easily change the original files in their folder or the modified files in their folder to have a suffix (or prefix), like "something-orig.xxx" or "something-mod.xxx". Look for "rename" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", like Krename, Gwenrename, pyrenamer, gprename, etc...

Hope this helps ...

krename_FoldersFiles1.jpg
krename_Filename1.jpg
With all the work I have with photos, I have a couple good renamers. A-B Rename (Krename?) is a really good one, can do one file or a whole batch.
I think there is also an EXIF plugin that set the date to the original shoot date as well, which is really good when I copy files and it creates the file using TODAY'S date overwriting the original shoot date. That's a bummer, because I can remember when I shot the photo, but not the name since the camera names them according to Nikon's naming scheme. I rather sort on shoot date because I can generally remember the day I took it, and if not, at least I remember what year it was.

Memory's not that shot-out yet! ;)

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Arch_Enemy,

"Krename" is one of the best file renamers with many options from simple to complex that can run on batches of folders and files. "Gwenrename" is pretty great too.

In fact, after running this little example, I accidentally renamed those images with the "-orig" suffix, which I then had to remove that suffix which was easy using the find and replace option in the Filename Advanced tab, find "-orig", replace with nothing.

Arch_Enemy wrote:With all the work I have with photos, I have a couple good renamers. A-B Rename (Krename?) is a really good one, can do one file or a whole batch. I think there is also an EXIF plugin that set the date to the original shoot date as well, which is really good when I copy files and it creates the file using TODAY'S date overwriting the original shoot date. That's a bummer, because I can remember when I shot the photo, but not the name since the camera names them according to Nikon's naming scheme. I rather sort on shoot date because I can generally remember the day I took it, and if not, at least I remember what year it was.
You are correct, "krename" has many options including EXIF and other date and time options which you can add to the filename. You may have to search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "exif" and install those packages before they are available in apps like "krename".

FYI: There are other applications for actually modifying or updating the exif data for images.

Hope this helps ...
krename_Plugins1.jpg
krename_Filename_Simple.jpg
krename_Filename_Advanced.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Mmm. While writing I had some (debug) lines accompanying the actual cp but now that it's the only line anyway, a bit of pedantic cleaning:

#!/bin/bash

copy() {
        DST="$2${SRC##$1}"
        [ $(stat -c %s "$DST") -ge $(stat -c %s "$SRC") ] || cp -v "$SRC" "$DST"
    done
}

copy "$1" "$2"
copy "$2" "$1"
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Another option is to compare the directories using Meld and use the Meld copy on each file that is different. This works where there are many files and only a few are different. Meld does not display the contents of directories where the contents are identical. If every directory/file is different, Meld melts.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Petermint wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 pm Another option is to compare the directories using Meld and use the Meld copy on each file that is different. This works where there are many files and only a few are different. Meld does not display the contents of directories where the contents are identical. If every directory/file is different, Meld melts.
I think that got installed with the build-essentials package.

I'll have to try it.

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Interesting thread, has given me a few ideas. :) I suspect a lot of us will have good uses for these and similar scripts. Bookmarked for reference. Thanks!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Other topics”