Trackball Modernized

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Trackball Modernized

Post by Ozo »

I just discovered the Trackball and it is a wonderful tool. Now, the trackball has scrolling similar to a mouse wheel which is an area where you slide your finger over the designated area. With scrolling the trackball is a great all around navigation tool. No special buttons on the Kensington Orbit I have which is good as they invariably get accidentally clicked. Takes 2 AA batteries.

The trackballs could always scroll using the arrow keys or the sliders but the scroll function is nice to have.

I bought the orbit but it is not fully Linux compatible out of the box so no settings. I found no need for the settings though as it works great with the default settings. It was $40.

Trackball is much different from a mouse and it was a couple days before it felt natural to navigate this way. The device never moves like a mouse, it is heavy and remains in one spot. The cursor is moved with the ball. Move it to a spot and it stays there till the ball is moved. Hold pressure against it and roll the ball This is real handy for editing as well as navigation. It makes using those scroll sliders on the side easy to operate unlike a mouse. Grabbing and dragging or highlighting takes a bit of finesse but while not as smooth as a mouse in this it does work well with practice.

You do not grip the device but let your hand float over the surface. Push to click and the device stays put. It is especially nice if you are in a bed as there is no requirement for a smooth surface as needed for a mouse and the cursor never moves even when you do like a mouse would..

I did have a problem with it when a movie was running. It was sluggish. Also when I first got it it was unsatisfactory because the old graphics driver was problematic. New driver fixed that.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ozo

Re: Trackball Modernized

Post by Ozo »

I just got a mouse pad with a gel wrist support. This makes the dragging and highlighting so much easier, especially highlighting which requires more pressure on the side. This mouse does not slide easily on this pad so stays put. Picture? OK.

Last edited by Ozo on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I really like trackballs. If I'm using a desktop, a trackball is my pointing device of choice. I have several. This older type Kensington Orbit is one of the prettiest:

My partner prefers this model by Logitech:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Which one is that?

I have the Logitech Trackman (actually, 3 of them...I keep burning them out from use)

and many years ago I found a script that uses the small buttons for forward or backward navigation (their default function) or holding the left small button functions as scroll.

Much, much easier to use (after about 4 days of thinking "This thing is WEIRD!") and without running your hand all over God's Creation. Good for limited space (I used to keep the oldest one in my toolbag for working on safes when you didn't have room to move a mouse about) and for fine editing, especially editing photos.

On;y thing is the small buttons gum up quite a bit after a while. I get 2-3 years out of them, then clean them with contact cleaner, but it usually signls the end when they start getting dirty inside. So, I buy another one...or two.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:14 pm Which one is that?
Trackman Marble FX. He has several spares, they don't make them anymore.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

I prefer the thumb trackball. I've used it for years. I find it accurate enough to play online FPS games as well.

Logitech makes the M570, which is a decent wireless option. But I find the mouse buttons they use wear out very fast.

Logitech also released a premium version recently, the MX ERGO. But they are asking nearly $100 for it.

Elecom makes some good alternates. They even offer left-handed versions, wired, and wireless options. The Elecom M-XT3DRBK is the thumb version, that even has an extra mouse button and has a horizontal scroll wheel as well. But they have a lot of different types that might be a good alternate for those of you that like the non-thumb trackballs.

I think Sanwa is another company that makes trackballs.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:14 pm Good for limited space (I used to keep the oldest one in my toolbag for working on safes when you didn't have room to move a mouse about) and for fine editing, especially editing photos.
"limited space" and limited mobility as well. I am not mobile and prefer my chaise lounge to a chair. I put some rolled up tape between the trackball and the mouse pad so it stays put no matter how much pressure i use in highlighting etc.. or when I move or the boat rolls in heavy seas.

The soft gel wrist rest has proven to be not only comfortable but positions my hand better over the trackball and reduces the strain when highlighting etc..

With the scroll capability the trackball can be even more useful than the mouse, For example, I can reach over and tap the click pad on the trackball device with the side of my hand.

There are other navigation devices which do well like a combo keyboard/touch pad for example but after using this track ball for just a few days I have decided that I am sticking with this system.

Last edited by Ozo on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Ozo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:14 pm Good for limited space (I used to keep the oldest one in my toolbag for working on safes when you didn't have room to move a mouse about) and for fine editing, especially editing photos.
"limited space" and limited mobility as well. I am not mobile and prefer my chaise lounge to a chair. I put some rolled up tape between the trackball and the mouse pad so it stays put no matter how much pressure i use in highlighting etc.. or when I move or the boat rolls in heavy seas.

The soft gel wrist rest has proven to be not only comfortable but positions my hand better over the trackball and reduces the strain when highlighting etc..
How do you like the keyboard? I was going to buy one but I wanted white light instead.

One note: a lot of people complained that keyboard had 'painted' tops, and after some use the paint wears off. If you plan on keeping it as long as you can, try to get some Krylon clear urethane paint. You can get gloss or matte. Spray some in a plastic cup, and use a Q-Tip to 'paint' the tops of the keys with the urethane. I had a model of Logitech keyboard I loved, but the tops would wear off. I found 2 of them and coated them with the clear paint and never had a problem. I still have them, but needed a lighted keyboard as I am in a room with only one window, and I'm a slight bit older than I was before...;)

PS: If you're really immobilized, try to get someone to do it for you. You really don't want to do it in your living space, as the smell lingers for a few hours. However, it does dry within ~4 hours or so, and once dry the smell of the paint 'flashing' off diminishes rapidly.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I have had this Aizio large lettered 3 color keyboard (red/violet/blue) for only a few months with no problem but at the first sign of fading I will take action. Thanks for the tip.

This is a link to this one and it has only great reviews (recently), nothing about "paint", and I highly recommend it. The early models had sticky keys but that has been fixed. This is a big company. I bought this one for $37 so is reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C ... UTF8&psc=1

This blue color is not as good as white but is ok. This was the cheaper version, the five color with white was more money.

I had problems with Logitech keyboards. The K400's plastic case reacted with sunscreen on my hands and was nearly unusable. I had an Edge which the letters wore off fast. I have had other problems too so now steer away from them but I did just buy a M350 mouse @ $16.50 total for my neighbor.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

I'm using an ancient Logitech Marble Mouse: saves desk space; easy to clean the ball.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Ozo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 pm I have had this Aizio large lettered 3 color keyboard (red/violet/blue) for only a few months with no problem but at the first sign of fading I will take action. Thanks for the tip.

This is a link to this one and it has only great reviews (recently), nothing about "paint", and I highly recommend it. The early models had sticky keys but that has been fixed. This is a big company. I bought this one for $37 so is reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C ... UTF8&psc=1

This blue color is not as good as white but is ok. This was the cheaper version, the five color with white was more money.

I had problems with Logitech keyboards. The K400's plastic case reacted with sunscreen on my hands and was nearly unusable. I had an Edge which the letters wore off fast. I have had other problems too so now steer away from them but I did just buy a M350 mouse @ $16.50 total for my neighbor.
I wound up with this, for about 1/2 original price:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH ... UTF8&psc=1

It's a BIG keyboard, but also has keytop issues, so it got painted as well. Also, the extra function keys are only available in Windows unless you jump through hoops to install a utility called "Haskell", I think it was, and then configuring the keys is a pain. I'm using a Logitech KB right now, backlit, and my favourite KB, but the keytops break off if you look at it too hard. This was a brand new one Logitech sent me to replace the last one (8 months old) that had a keytop break off, and it made it 3 months before one fell off. I'm just dealing with it...:D I love Logitech keyboards, but they are becoming flimsy now. This is my 4th one of these, and the second one replaced by Logitech. At least their warranty is great. I got a new trackball and keyboard within months of each other, and they just asked me how they broke. Eight days later replacements were in the mailbox!

Return to “Other topics”