nano text editor single-user-mode - copy text

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

nano text editor single-user-mode - copy text

Post by SprinterDriver »

Hi forum.

In my recent thread, I got into a problem.

Based on a misconception (won't discuss that in this thread), I tried to copy a string of test from one text file to another, purely using nano in single user mode.

First off, it looks slightly different than in desktop/terminal. Amongst other thing, the (usb) mouse wouldn't work, even if I enabled mouse it didn't work.

The other thing is that the bottom guide (list of working short cuts) seems to not be trusted. I'm not into single user mode right now and cannot test it, but remember one entry that spell ^^ = mark text. That did not work, maybe because of non-english keyboard layout. So a web search revealed that it is Alt+Shift+A that must be used in order to mark text.

One Ubuntu web page stated that Shift+Alt+6 is the shortcut to use to copy marked text. I tried that, but no visual signs from nano indicated text was copied. Sadly I did not test it by trying to paste the text. Since the same web page stated that also Alt+6 was an alternative shortcut for same purpose, I tried that, but then the screen went black, only a blinking marker in upper left corner, and didn't respond to any keyboard input. Don't know if that is a nano thing, or if it is the OS that does something with Alt+6 keyboard input in single-user-mode.

Question - When in single user mode, having a non-english keyboard layout, using nano - is there possible to mark some text in one file, copy it and open another text file and then paste the contents?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.

Return to “Other topics”