Linux Mint as a replacement for a C64

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Linux Mint as a replacement for a C64

Post by Petermint »

The following article reviews a THEC64 as a replacement for a Commodore 64 for playing games. I wonder how Linux Mint stacks up.
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/thec6 ... 4z9e3.html

The hardware appears to be limited. The HDMI output is only 720p, a good reason to buy something better. The keyboard is half size. You might as well buy a netbook for better connectivity. The local thec64 price is $149 without power supply. There are netbooks for $200 with screen, USB 3, and Wifi AC.

I never played games on a C64 because I always had real computers. Some of the C64 games were different and interesting at the time. I do not know if any are still of interest in the C64 form. Between new versions, emulation, and replacement games, has anyone satisfactorily created a replacement for a C64 using Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint as a replacement for a C64

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:00 am I never played games on a C64 because I always had real computers.
The C64 was a real computer, as was the VIC-20.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
willieaames

Post by willieaames »

Wish that Colecovision Flashback and Intellivision Flashback would come back onto the Australian market.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

The original C64 was shortlisted as my first computer way back when. I ended up selecting that (relatively) new OS called MS-DOS and a computer with an 8086 processor along with 256KB of RAM, CGA and twin floppy drives (both 5 1/4"). At the time I also nearly purchased a "portable" machine with a lot of software running an OS called CP/M, Fortunately I guessed correctly that DOS was the future. My kids grew up with the DOS prompt and running games from there. They even learnt how to get around any security that could be devised. The only time I managed to trick them was when I set the prompt text to black on black, a simple <Ctrl C> to get out of the batch file would have fixed it. :D
Last edited by lsemmens on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am I also nearly purchased a "protable" machine with a lot of software running an OS called CP/M
I have run CPM on several computers over the years, including my C64 with the Z80 add-on card. Hmmm, I wonder if I can get that to run in VirtualBox?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

The games on the Commodore 64 were a bit basic, but quite addictive. I coded a few myself using 6502 Machine Language (a bit different to most programming languages used today ;) ). Kikstart 2 was quite an addictive game at the time (1980 something) - it was basically a matchstick man on a motorbike jumping over logs... or crashing into them.

No clue about the updated C64, the original was surpassed by the Amiga.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I'm surprised I missed this thread until now. :oops:

Mint should make an ideal "replacement C64" using VICE. It's in the repos but old versions (may be a newer .deb version in the repos for Mint 19), however, there is a Flatpak with version 3.2; it's mentioned in this thread. Also, at least in Mint 17.x, the .deb version is missing the ROMs. Hopefully the FP has these included.

Whilst I haven't (yet) tested this, I can confirm V3.2-1 runs OOTB on "the other side" (Manjaro KDE), installed from their "Extra" repos. If this is the same version as the Flatpak available for Mint, you should be good to go.

Interestingly, on startup, V3.2-1 checks for a PCI CatWeasel card .. fantastic as I have one. :mrgreen: This will hopefully enable me to transfer software & data using the PC's 5¼" floppy drive to images & to SD cards which can be used on the real C64 machines via my SD2IEC.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
BurgerBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BurgerBob »

BG405 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 pm I'm surprised I missed this thread until now. :oops:

Mint should make an ideal "replacement C64" using VICE. It's in the repos but old versions (may be a newer .deb version in the repos for Mint 19), however, there is a Flatpak with version 3.2; it's mentioned in this thread. Also, at least in Mint 17.x, the .deb version is missing the ROMs. Hopefully the FP has these included.

Whilst I haven't (yet) tested this, I can confirm V3.2-1 runs OOTB on "the other side" (Manjaro KDE), installed from their "Extra" repos. If this is the same version as the Flatpak available for Mint, you should be good to go.

Interestingly, on startup, V3.2-1 checks for a PCI CatWeasel card .. fantastic as I have one. :mrgreen: This will hopefully enable me to transfer software & data using the PC's 5¼" floppy drive to images & to SD cards which can be used on the real C64 machines via my SD2IEC.
I installed the standard VICE from the repos but then went to the development site and downloaded the source, that had the ROMS that I copied into place. It was fairly straight forward. (PS. Love the pic of the kitties.)

Return to “Other topics”