Firefox icons removed after upgrade

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox icons removed after upgrade

Post by That Random Guy »

I'm running Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon (64-bit) on a guest (VM).

I decided to upgrade Firefox from 58 to the latest and after it did so, I immediately noticed the icon for the launcher on my desktop changed to some default blank page icon.

Thinking the name of icon had simply changed, I decided to look in /urs/share/pixmaps but I didn't find any Firefox images. Next, I opened up a terminal and ran find to look for firefox.png.

The only images it was able to find were either the ones that came with the install (outdated icons) and the particular icons that came with themes I had installed.

Now thinking something had gone wrong with the upgrade, I went ahead and removed Firefox from my system and rebooted. I "reinstalled" Firefox and now the issue has persisted.

Is there any reason for why this would happen? I'm not particularly sure why the icons would be missing in the first place. :|

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox icons removed after upgrade

Post by Cosmo. »

It appears more likely, that the origin for the problem is in your user account, not in the system or in the update.

Create a fresh new user account and simply open the menu. Do you see the FF-icon? (Should also be visible in the panel.)
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

My Bad

@cosmo
Allow me to clarify: when I open the panel menu, a Firefox icon appears but it's the same one the system has been using.

Those icons and the ones that shipped with Linux Mint are still where one would expect them to be.

What I can't seem to find are the icons/images that are official--if we can call them that. I'm using Firefox 59 and I would like the icon on my desktop to reflect that.

The issue, however, appears to be that I can't find any icons for the browser. Normally, one would see the icon for Firefox in the title-bar for Firefox, but I don't see that anymore. It's almost as if Firefox simply isn't getting it's icons for some reason.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: My Bad

Post by Cosmo. »

That Random Guy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:25 pm Normally, one would see the icon for Firefox in the title-bar for Firefox, but I don't see that anymore.
There was never an icon (at least with the default themes of Cinnamon). I use on my working machine FF ESR, where I also do not see any icon in the title bar. Also not fr any other application, like the text editor.
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

?

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 amThere was never an icon (at least with the default themes of Cinnamon). I use on my working machine FF ESR, where I also do not see any icon in the title bar. Also not fr any other application, like the text editor.
That's really odd then. It very well could be that I myself put the icon in the pixmaps folder but I honestly don't remember that. I've been forced to do that in this instance as a work-around but I swear to you that there was a Firefox image in that folder before this recent update.

I remember Googling how to find a particular icon and I eventually located the pixmaps directory with the icon I assumed was shipped with the Firefox install.

All of this, however, still doesn't quite make sense to me as I'm not understanding why it would remove said icon from the pixmaps folder upon being updated. I might be going on a limb here, but if it had nothing to do with the icon in that directory, why would it suddenly vanish as if it did hold some part to it? :?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox icons removed after upgrade

Post by Cosmo. »

All content in /usr (and other system folders) are under control of the package management. You cannot rely, that manually added or changed files stay untouched.

Return to “Other topics”