Date and time keeps reverting to 11 February 2016 [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nic Deane
Level 1
Level 1

Date and time keeps reverting to 11 February 2016 [SOLVED]

Post by Nic Deane » Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

I am having a fairly frequent problem (i.e. NOT every time I log in) but quite often this happens.

The Date and Time Settings are set to Network Time - ON. However, when I log in sometimes the Date comes up as 11th February 2016. This means that some programs (e.g. Gnucash and the Chrome browser) flag up that date and so, date and time settings are wrong and won't search. So I have to go into Date and Time Settings and reset them.

This is a pain! Does anyone know why this might be happening?

I can't see a similar question in any of the Forums.

Grateful for any help, as in previous requests!

Nic Deane
System: Linux Mint 18.3 64 bit Cinnamon 3.6.7 on Fitlet AMD A4 Micro-6400T APU + AMD Radeon R3 Graphics x 4 with 3.5 GiB Memory kernel is 4.13.0-39 Generic
Last edited by Nic Deane on Thu May 03, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Date and time keeps reverting to 11 February 2016

Post by Moem » Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Any change your CMOS battery needs replacing?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed May 02, 2018 4:00 pm

11th Feb 2016 is a really strange date. An empty battery would likely result in something like 1st Jan. 1980 or something like that.

Before you log in, do you see the same date in the login screen? Hover the clock at the top right to see the date?

Disable for some time the time setting via Internet and see, if the issue is still there.

Nic Deane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nic Deane » Thu May 03, 2018 4:42 am

Thank you both so much for posting such speedy replies! This morning when I logged in all was normal - date and time correct. Yesterday there was a problem.

I agree, the date is a strange issue. 1st Jan. 1980 used to be the default date with an empty battery. I wondered whether this was when I bought my little fitlet but I bought it after that date - some time in September 2016. Later today I'll looking into the login screen.

Once again, totally amazing that a tyro can just ask a question and really experienced guys take time to notice this tiny problem. Mint Forums are ace! I checked the forums with a xsane issue and found help on a forum which sorted that out two days ago!

Many, many thanks! Will flag up [SOLVED] when I've done investigating.

Nic Deane

Nic Deane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Date and time keeps reverting to 11 February 2016 [SOLVED]

Post by Nic Deane » Thu May 03, 2018 11:46 am

Curiouser and curiouser - as Alice in Wonderland might have said!

When I start (or restart) the Date and Time show up as 11th February 2016. However, if I wait for 35 seconds and upwards it automatically changes to the correct Date and Time. I've tried this three or four times now and all seems well. So, I guess the problem is SOLVED. I still don't why there is this time delay.

Perhaps, when I've wanted to quickly check my accounts and online banking (where date and time are crucial to logging in) and have pressed on too quickly I've wanted to change the date and time and so have gone in to System Settings and manually changed it. If I had just been more patient the system clock would have adjusted itself automatically.
Perhaps the Date and Time - 11th February 2016 is the Date of Manufacture for the Fitlet -i Barebone? I bought it 8th September 2016. The Battery Warranty is 24 months, so, just possibly there is a battery problem?

Anyway, if I'm patient for a minute the problem seems to go away!

Thank you for pointing me towards seeing this only as a minor frustration!

Regards, Nic Deane

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Post by greerd » Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 pm

What does timedatectl give? RTC is your BIOS clock.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu May 03, 2018 4:49 pm

You did not answer, which date you get in the login screen.

Create a fresh new user account and log into it. The same behavior there?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm

All the clues point to an expired Lithium primary cell (not your main power pack). They are consumable items and not normally under warranty. Often they look like this...Image https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_battery
...and often they are easy to replace.
In Chapter One, Boron slays the entire Marketing Department by explaining Asynchronous Protocols.

Return to “Other topics”