Running a windows program on mint linux without crashes

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lindabrownms

Running a windows program on mint linux without crashes

Post by lindabrownms »

I've been a Linux user for gods knows how long (Not because I'm programmer or anything I just like Linux.). So I recently started on a new job. So they use this Quality Management Software which apparently only works on Windows. It is important that I use this software, at the same time I don't want to use Windows. So I need to find a way in which this software works on Linux without any crashes. If anybody knows something, help me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rado84

Re: Running a windows program on mint linux without crashes

Post by rado84 »

I've ran several Windows programs on Linux so far. For that you need to install Wine, Wine-Gecko, Wine-mono and PlayOnLinux. With these 4 programs even the capricious Photoshop works with no problems.
If that doesn't work, I think the only option left for you is to install Windows on a VM, if you have enough RAM for that.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Lindabrownms.

As you will have to use the linked Software Suite for your job, I wonder whether your new employer will not provide Windows based office machines to their employees anyway. In this case the question would never raise whether it were possible to run the mentioned Software Suite on Linux under Wine.

In case your new employer should permit you to use your private Linux machine on the job, I would not take Wine into consideration in order to run the mentioned Software Suite. It may be a more trouble-free approach to install Virtualbox on the Linux machine, install a (properly licensed) Windows version on it, which is supported by the mentioned Software Suite, and run the mentioned Software Suite inside the virtual machine.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
lindabrownms

Post by lindabrownms »

My employer is not allowing me to use a private system. But I was hoping to install Linux in the system they provide, just to stay on Linux. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

lindabrownms wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 am ... I was hoping to install Linux in the system they provide, just to stay on Linux. ...
That just sounds like a bad idea. Use Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, lindabrownms.

The employer does not allow you to use your private computer in the office. This is pretty normal very likely for the majority of employers. How else could they make sure that their IT and security standards are obeyed?
Therefore I would be more than amazed if the same employer permitted you to install Linux Mint on your office machine.
Imaginable, but more than unlikely. Most companies are heavily Windows-minded (sigh).

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Of course most businesses are Windows based. That's where the enterprise software is.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Other topics”