Chromium on Linux Mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Chromium on Linux Mint

Post by rbsudo »

In the short time I've been using Chromium on Linux Mint, I've never understood why it ( also Chrome, its parent) doesn't give a user the option to clear cookies when you sign off.

I find it a real pita to have to go into settings, dig it out, and manually clear it every time before signing off. That's a major reason why I like Firefox and PaleMoon better..... I have them set to clean everything at sign off.

Just wondering how Chromium users on LM deal with this inconvenience.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.. 64-bit
Windows 11
Sir Charles

Re: Chromium on Linux Mint

Post by Sir Charles »

Ctrl-Shift-Delete --> Clear data
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I use the following script to clear all browser data.
Just copy into a new document, then save (no extension), then make executable, and run.
* Change the /mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default to your default mail folder (in Firefox).

#!/bin/bash
# Delete Browsers Data-History-Cache-Telemetry-Datareporting-Storage-Macromedia etc
echo "Delete Browsers Data-History-Cache-Telemetry-Datareporting-Storage-Macromedia etc."
#
# Delete Firefox Cache
echo "Delete Firefox Cache"
sudo rm -rf ~/.macromedia
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/mozilla/*
sudo rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/cache/firefox/*
sudo rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/datareporting/*
sudo rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/saved-telemetry-pings/*
sudo rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/storage/default/*
sudo rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/storage/temporary/*
#
# Delete Chromium Cache
echo "Delete Chromium Cache"
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/chromium/Default/Cache/*
#
# Delete Google Chrome Cache
echo "Delete Google Chrome Cache"
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/google-chrome/Default/"Media Cache"
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/google-chrome/Default/"Media Cache"/*
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/google-chrome/Default/"Media Cache"/index-dir
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/google-chrome/Default/"Media Cache"/index-dir/*
#
# Delete PC Thumbnails Cache
echo "Delete PC Thumbnails Cache"
sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/thumbnails/normal
sleep 10
exit 0
sudo stop
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I use Chrome but it's the same issue. It's really the only thing I don't like about it. I mean, clearing cache and history on exit is pretty basic, isn't it?

What I do is install the Click & Clean extension and set it to clear private data upon exit.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rbsudo »

Thanks Marziano, That's a new one for me.
Windows 11
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

You are welcome!
Cheers
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rbsudo »

Thanks Joe2Shoe. I'll give it a try after I figure out how to make it executable and then how to run. Would that be manual or automatic?
As you can see.... newbie here. :)
Windows 11
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rbsudo »

Hoser Rob, does Click & Clean extension do it automatically on sign-off or do you have to click to clear before signing off? Thanks!
Windows 11
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Google itself has a well sorted offer of addons: one of them is Cookie AutoDelete...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rbsudo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 am Hoser Rob, does Click & Clean extension do it automatically on sign-off or do you have to click to clear before signing off? Thanks!
It's an option in its settings (i think default off). You can also whitelist cookies to survive deletion which can be a handy feature - e.g for the Mint Forum Cookie if you use the remember me checkbox on log-in.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

rbsudo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:06 am Thanks Joe2Shoe. I'll give it a try after I figure out how to make it executable and then how to run. Would that be manual or automatic?
As you can see.... newbie here. :)
Just copy script to blank document.
Save (no extension) to Desktop as "Browsers_Cleanse" (without quotes).
Make executable: Open Terminal, go to Desktop "cd ./Desktop" (without quotes).
chmod 700 ./Desktop/Browsers_Cleanse
Exit Terminal.
On Desktop, double-click Browsers_Cleanse
Select "Run in Terminal".
Type Password.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

rbsudo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 am Hoser Rob, does Click & Clean extension do it automatically on sign-off or do you have to click to clear before signing off? Thanks!
You have to tell it to do it on exit. It's all in the Settings.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rbsudo »

Thanks for all the above replies... quite a few options. I also see that cookies can be set to clear automatically from Chromium when you exit the browser.

Chromium Settings>Advanced>Cookies>Keep local data only until you quit your browser

That takes care of cookies. When you open Chromium again the next time, if you check "See all cookies and site data" in settings, you'll notice that it did clean the cookies from the last session, except for the one that Chromium just dropped in when it just opened (google.com).

But for all the other stuff (like browsing history, etc.) we can pick a choice from any of the posts above so far.
Windows 11
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

andreyswit wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm I have a Microsoft mouse type Wireless mobile mouse 1000 and I want to use this mouse on Linux Mint Rebecca.
When i push de middle mouse button on an version of Windows then i can drag thru the website or document.

Now in Linux Mint Rebecca I can use the scrollwheel but when I push the middlemousebutton scrollwheel then the button is idle in Chromium.
How can I drag thru websites with this mouse?
If you're going to hijack a thread you should at least pick one that's a similar topic. You'll get better responses if you start your own thread.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 am Google itself has a well sorted offer of addons: one of them is Cookie AutoDelete...
I want more than cookies deleted on exit, esp. the cache. I just use click & clean to do that on exit and use ctl-shift-delete to delete data on demand.

Return to “Other topics”