How to edit a keyboard shortcut to launch a specific program?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heartnotes

How to edit a keyboard shortcut to launch a specific program?

Post by heartnotes »

I see some options like launching Calculator, and I want to launch the process System Monitor on a certain keypress. Can this be done?

(information in my signature about my current build)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to edit a keyboard shortcut to launch a specific program?

Post by RHTopics »

Yes it can be done through adding a "Custom Shortcut" from the Keyboard applet in System Settings.

The System Monitor process is started by executing the program "gnome-system-monitor". That is what you put in the "Command:" field in the "Add custom shortcut" dialog window.

Up to 3 "Keyboard bindings" can be assigned to the "Custom Shortcut". Click your newly added keyboard shortcut and then click on one of the "unassigned" Keyboard bindings and then type your keyboard shortcut.
zeeshanali1993
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeeshanali1993 »

can we add ksysguard through custom shortcut I'm getting an error that no such file exists commands I used are i) ksysguard ii) ksysguard %U. These commands run fine in the terminal. I don't have much knowledge about linux so kindly keep it simple.

Using Linux Mint Cinnemon 20.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

zeeshanali1993 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:09 am Using Linux Mint Cinnemon 20.
Restart Cinnamon with keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-Esc after creating or amending a custom shortcut. There is an outstanding bug that needs the Cinnamon restart as a workaround.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Other topics”