Is there a guide for how to use the new Timeshift + Backup options together?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heartnotes

Is there a guide for how to use the new Timeshift + Backup options together?

Post by heartnotes »

I recently got a new external HD, a WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0040BBK-WESN but it lists it as only supporting Windows. Disregarding that, I have an 128 GB USB I could probably use in its stead: How do I combine the backup options + Timeshift to get a complete "picture" of my current Linux install held in reserve just in case?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is there a guide for how to use the new Timeshift + Backup options together?

Post by xenopeek »

I'd use something else. Timeshift is used to create system restore points, to roll back problematic updates. Backup is used to take a one-time backup of your home directory and list of additional programs you installed, before you upgrade to a major next Linux Mint version. For day to day backup of your home directory I'd use something automated like DejaDup.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Is there a guide for how to use the new Timeshift + Backup options together?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Prefer Manual Backups myself so that I can make labels referring to what each backup contains.

Timeshift for me, because it goes to an extUSB HDD has to be manual 'on demand' which lets me label every Timeshift event

I use both LuckyBackup and BackInTime. My preference is LuckyBackup as it is somewhat simpler to use.

My backups have saved my bacon on occasion, the last event just earlier this week.

Automated backups require that the backup HDD be online 24/7/365 and for a laptop, that is just not possible.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Other topics”