how to do "picture-in-picture" in Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

how to do "picture-in-picture" in Mint?

Post by jimallyn » Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 am

Some televisions have a "picture-in-picture" feature, where you can have most of the screen taken up by one channel, and use a corner of the screen to show what's on another channel. I would like to do something like that on my computer. I often have music from Youtube playing while doing other things on the computer. Suppose I'm writing a document in LibreOffice, enjoying the music, and suddenly there's a blistering guitar solo I'd like to watch. I'd like to have that Youtube video playing in a corner of the screen so all I have to do is glance up at the corner of the screen to see it. It would also be nice to be able to swap the two pictures, and make the video in the corner of the screen take up most of the screen and put the other application up in the corner. Maybe switch by clicking on the small corner image? There must be some way to do this, but I have no idea what it would be. Ideas?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Marziano
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to do "picture-in-picture" in Mint?

Post by Marziano » Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 am

If you don't mind using Opera browser, it has a video pop-out functionality you might want to have a look at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEwdu2F_Rdw
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Sat May 19, 2018 1:59 pm

The solution is to glue two computers together, or glue an iPhone onto your regular monitor:
https://xkcd.com/1988/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Neil Edmond
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Neil Edmond » Sat May 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Don't most media players have an "always on top" setting? I know I've used my PC TV tuner that way...have the display in a small window that is always on top of whatever app I"m working with.

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrEen » Sat May 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Neil Edmond wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:54 pm
Don't most media players have an "always on top" setting? I know I've used my PC TV tuner that way...have the display in a small window that is always on top of whatever app I"m working with.
In Xfce (not sure about others) right clicking in the titlebar of any window gives me that option. Of course, there's no way to "flip" the windows with this.

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Sat May 19, 2018 4:12 pm

this all depends on your graphic setup. most window managers have sticky window if you want to go that way or with nvidia you can make extended desktop if you use 2 monitor. you can tear out a chrome tab and then zoom out (max is 25%). but picture in picture needs it's own software like https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/flo ... -extension

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Sat May 19, 2018 4:15 pm

MrEen wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:45 pm
In Xfce (not sure about others) right clicking in the titlebar of any window gives me that option.
Same with fluxbox.
Of course, there's no way to "flip" the windows with this.
Raise one, lower the other [Edit: not even that...], and resize, maybe all with "xdotool" - which should work for all DEs..?:

Code: Select all

xdotool windowsize $(xdotool search --name "Mousepad" | tail -1) 400 400
from
https://askubuntu.com/questions/441501/ ... ly-in-xfce
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact » Sat May 19, 2018 5:07 pm

MrEen wrote:
In Xfce (not sure about others) right clicking in the titlebar of any window gives me that option. Of course, there's no way to "flip" the windows with this.
Thanks for the tip, MrEen. Never knew that!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat May 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks for the tips! I will give them a try. Except if I was going to glue a phone to my monitor, it would not be an Apple phone, it would be an Android device.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Sat May 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Flemur wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:15 pm
MrEen wrote:
In Xfce (not sure about others) right clicking in the titlebar of any window gives me that option.
Same with fluxbox.
On Cinnamon 'always on top' is available from the titlebar menu button for all windows...

Return to “Other topics”