Newer version of Qt5 needed than provided in Mint package

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inksi

Newer version of Qt5 needed than provided in Mint package

Post by inksi »

Hi,
I am running Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit.

I am building kexi 3, part of the KDE suite. I have come to a halt because Mint only has Qt5-default version 5.5.1 as installed by the package manager. 5.8.0 is the minimum needed, (This fails when trying to build the breeze-icons)

I looked at the Qt5 site, but the download of Qt5 version 5.8 is absolutely humungous and obviously is not what I want (must be a full development package :?: ). Are there any suggestions, maybe our package will move forward just now? Lots of (dated) suggestions on the net, but looking for some direction here.

best
Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Newer version of Qt5 needed than provided in Mint package

Post by phd21 »

Hi inksi,

IMHO, if you can avoid compiling software from source code, then avoid it.

Kexi has an AppImage that anyone can use.

AppImages from aci.pangea.pub - use newest file by date.
https://s3-eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/d ... ppimage%2F

If you want the full development environment of QT for programming, then install that.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat May 19, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

This is Linux, not Windows. In addition to the difficulty of installing software by compiling and building, you're fairly likely to break existing Qt apps if you install a newer version. Backwards and forwards compatibility are not a Linux strong point.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
inksi

Post by inksi »

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable comments made.

I had been running later versions of Kexi2 and building same for some years. Version 2.9.7 is coming up to being 3 years old soon. It is stable and does its job, runs well as the front-end to postgresql, but of course is no longer supported by kexi.

The upgrade to Mint 18 was because we had decided it was just not possible to build Kexi3 on Mint17 I had hoped to get it running on the newer Mint18, my main reason being the future implementation of scripting in kexi3 which has been a needed feature for us for many years. Kexi3 is regarded as stable.

I am running 3 Mint machines so not thinking of changing as very happy - great desktop distro :) - just hoping we might move forward soon to enable an upgrade to Kexi3

best
Ian
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I am afraid that in order to get the newer qt you will have to go outside of Mint. You do know that mint will no longer be supporting KDE after version 19 release. ;(
I would try Neon if you want the very latest KDE/qt has to offer. Or even Kubuntu 18.04. Manjaro's KDE is also kept up to date.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
inksi

Post by inksi »

Thanks,
I had spotted the end of KDE support and will have to Neon up one machine <sob> for an easy upgrade to end the suffering from a dated browser which will also let me look at kexi3. Meanwhile on this machine will revert to building kexi2

I see no easy route to Nirvana - kexi3 on Mint.

best
Ian

Return to “Other topics”