How to install Japanese IME (as in Windows)?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sukerukudasai

How to install Japanese IME (as in Windows)?

Post by sukerukudasai »

Standard Japanese layout is not good - for special keyboard. I want to use IME like in Windows, when i can use romadji and they converts to kana/kanji.
Last edited by SMG on Sat May 21, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old topic on no-longer-supported-version of Linux Mint.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to install Japanese IME (as in Windows)?

Post by Pierre »

you will need to give us some more information:
- what version of LinuxMint are you using ?.
and what is the Make & Model of your machine ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
sukerukudasai

Post by sukerukudasai »

It doesn't make sense coz i checked forums and it's problem with debian/ubuntu/etc. I've tried on PC and laptops. Problem the same. I use latest LinuxMint from official site. Also i've tried other debian-like systems. Problem in others too.

It's problem with iBus. Now i am trying to use fctix but it makes 2 layouts: standard (system) + additional which intercepts selected layout and changes pressings to kana.

So if you know how to easy install and setup IME like in Windows: tell me.

ps I have a standard "english" computer and keyboard. Mint's Japanese layout is for keyboards with Kana already. I don't use this method as many japanese guys. I just use IME, when i type "kana" and get かな and after 仮名
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only things I can find are for ubuntu 16.04, which apples to Mint 18.x. You'd have to find the equivalent things in Mint because the steps are for Unity but they should be similar:

https://moritzmolch.com/2287

http://www.localizingjapan.com/blog/201 ... ial-xerus/
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mashineman

Post by mashineman »

I've got exactly that sort of Japanese input set up on my system. Try this:

1. Go to Settings -> Language Settings -> Language Tab -> Language Support, click Install/Remove, then Add and install all Japanese language entries.

2. Go to Software Manager, search for Anthy and install it. Then do the same for Ibus-anthy, unless it was already also installed with Anthy.

3. Go to Settings -> Language Settings -> Input Method -> Language Support and install Japanese if it isn't already.

4. As I recall, you need to reboot now.

5. Go to Settings -> Language Settings -> Input Method and set the Input Method to Ibus.

6. You should see a little "EN" icon on the tray. Right click it and open Preferences. Go to Input Method, click Add, select Japanese and then choose Anthy. It should be all set up now, you can toggle languages by left clicking the EN and selecting the one you want-though it's more convenient to do it by setting up a keyboard shortcut.

Some of these steps are probably unnecessary or redundant, but I know the correct setup is in there somewhere.
tatariw

Post by tatariw »

I have had similar issue to type in Amharic. iBus should work if you install ibus-gtk and ibus-gtk3 from Synaptic, Of course in addition to ibus-m17n. Please check these two.
In my case I did not have to install Language Support as log as Amharic fonts are installed.
Good luck!

Return to “Other topics”