Updates

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kemperhills

Updates

Post by kemperhills »

Hope I put this in the right place. A question, I am running Linux Mint 18.3 x64 and when I get updates there are those that have a 1,2,3 or 4 beside the update. The ones with 1 or 2 are checked the others are not. So, is it necessary or needed that the updates with a 3 or 4 beside them be installed. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Updates

Post by JerryF »

kemperhills wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:41 am Hope I put this in the right place. A question, I am running Linux Mint 18.3 x64 and when I get updates there are those that have a 1,2,3 or 4 beside the update. The ones with 1 or 2 are checked the others are not. So, is it necessary or needed that the updates with a 3 or 4 beside them be installed. Thanks.
Those numbers represent a Level. Each level from 1 to 5 is how much that update will impact the system.

Level 1 updates are deemed minimal impact.
Level 2 updates, normal impact.

In Update Manager, you can set which updates you want visible and if you want them preselected.

Open Update Manager, Edit, Preferences, Levels.

As for which are NEEDED is your decision. If you want your system that will be updated with minimal impact, 1 & 2 are a good choice.

Also, in Preferences, Options, if you have "Always show security updates" and "Always show kernel updates", those may show up from time to time as a Level 4, even though you don't have Level 4 set to be visible in the Levels section. That's kind of an override for security and/or kernel updates to come through IF you want them to.

My preferences are set to Level 1, 2, and 3 --- Visible and Selected. I also have "Always show security updates" and "Always select security updates' checked in Options. I don't have the kernel updates selected because both my desktop and laptop at home are running fine and I have no need for a newer kernel.

Return to “Other topics”