Putting files in a folder created on the fly

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Putting files in a folder created on the fly

Post by erw1 »

I'm wondering if there exists a way to set up the file manager such that I can
1/ Select multiples files at once
2/ Put them in a folder that is created on the fly (I'd get a prompt, folder name)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Putting files in a folder created on the fly

Post by BenTrabetere »

If you are using the MATE desktop and the Caja file manager I have a couple scripts that do what you ask - one is to Copy files, the other is to Move files. I do not know if they will work with another DE or file manager.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

No one's going to be able to say much if you don't include even your point release and DE version.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:34 am If you are using the MATE desktop and the Caja file manager I have a couple scripts that do what you ask - one is to Copy files, the other is to Move files. I do not know if they will work with another DE or file manager.
I'll give it a try, if u show me the scripts.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I did not write the scripts I use - I picked them up from this forum post. To the best of my knowledge the Google Drive folder is still active.
viewtopic.php?t=219329

The scripts you want are named Copy-To and Move-To, and those were the only ones I downloaded and use. You might find some of the others to be handy. I would have downloaded the Make-Executable script if I had not already written one on my own.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

Boils down to knowing how to use zenity.
x64/LM 23+Xfce

Return to “Other topics”