Anybody else constantly getting : "Device or resource busy" when doing routine updates?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

Anybody else constantly getting : "Device or resource busy" when doing routine updates?

Post by fruitkiller »

Yesterday, it was perl's security update, /usr/bin/"a couple things" made it impossible to update it without rebooting, with my hub for those damn externals without off buttons turned off. Today it's ruby 1.9.1, again, it was actually the first package to give me this problem. lsof +D /path does not find anything. Turning off EVERYTHING, including X, does nothing, I have to reboot and then the update will work. Anyway I hope it will once I reboot, which I hate to do, for reasons I have posted here but have not gotten any answers, it's rather strange openvpn issues with a wacky acting onboard network card, which unfortunately is the only one of my 2 cards, the other one an old pci ethernet card that cannot go over 100mbps, and I have 500/380mbps FTTH and only that onboard network card is recent enough to be a 10/100/1000 or whatever.

Although that's not the main issue right now. Just asking if anybody keeps getting this issue with routine updates, nothing can be done but rebooting and going straight to terminal and doing apt-get install -f then, to correct the problem. Makes me want to upgrade back to 17.3 asap, maybe that'll fix it (I can't run 18 so do not suggest it plz, I wish I could, but I'll use the LTS until the end next april. Issue is my Radeon HD 7870 only working great with the official AMD 15.30.1025 proprietary driver, the fgrlx available in the repos is obsolete and does not act well. I mainly want to do it so I can install a kernel in the 4.x family again.

Hope none of you are getting plagued by this annoyance...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Anybody else constantly getting : "Device or resource busy" when doing routine updates?

Post by cabbagetreemo »

Might have nothing to do with it but try making sure you don't have sudo locked down in the terminal or the software manager at the same time

i.e. If you are currently installing something then you won't be able to install updates until it is done and vice versa - just having the software manager open may prevent the update manager from locking down the necessary files.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Anybody else constantly getting : "Device or resource busy" when doing routine updates?

Post by Hoser Rob »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 am Might have nothing to do with it but try making sure you don't have sudo locked down in the terminal or the software manager at the same time

i.e. If you are currently installing something then you won't be able to install updates until it is done and vice versa - just having the software manager open may prevent the update manager from locking down the necessary files.
I was thinking similarly, actually it's apt that's the issue if that's what's going on. All those Mint updating and installing GUI tools (plus Synaptic) are just front ends for apt, and the OS won't let more than one instance at a time run.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Other topics”