How Is The Mint ISO Created?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
opticyclic

How Is The Mint ISO Created?

Post by opticyclic »

I've looked at several of the repos in GitHub but I can't seem to find the scripts that build the distro and creates the ISO.

Can someone point me to the scripts and/or give a high level overview of the steps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How Is The Mint ISO Created?

Post by xenopeek »

The ISOs are built from scratch. The ISO maintainer does this but if he uses any scripts for it, I don't know that these are public.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The "Art of ISO Spinning" is the chef's secret. :mrgreen:

Note that Ubuntu features daily ISO builds during almost the entire development cycle. For example, for 18.10:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

It would be nice to have those for Mint as well.... But perhaps that would add too much to the work load of the small Mint dev team.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm The ISOs are built from scratch. The ISO maintainer does this but if he uses any scripts for it, I don't know that these are public.
What does "built from scratch" mean?
Compiling the source for all the packages?
Or using debootstrap in a chroot then using apt to add the packages to it?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I haven't the foggiest. You seem to know more about building ISOs than I do :) I just know that it's not as Linux Mint started out 12 years ago taking the Ubuntu ISO and respinning it. The ISO is built from the ground up; it's not a respin of another ISO.

Packages from the Linux Mint repository (http://packages.linuxmint.com/) are compiled by Linux Mint. Packages from the Ubuntu package base repository are compiled by Ubuntu. Packages are compiled and add to the repository first. The ISO is built from packages in the repositories.

Return to “Other topics”