Move all data from one SSD to another SSD

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stridder

Move all data from one SSD to another SSD

Post by stridder »

Hello,

I need to move all partitions/data from one ssd drive to another SSD with same sizes (both 128gb).
Original SSD is msata (works via msata->sata adapter). Destination drive is native SATA. Original SSD has several linux partitions (including linux mint cinnamon boot partition) and partition with win 7.
Is there soft for linux to move the whole drive data?
Its desktop, I can connect both drives at the same time.

Destination SSD can be erased completely, but it was used and may need smth like secure erase (don't know how to do it in linux though).

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Move all data from one SSD to another SSD

Post by Pierre »

there is several ways to do that, but if you can Boot a Live LinuxMint Media,
& then use the Gparted program, that is on the Live Media - - you can use that GUI
to copy & paste each partition onto the new SSD.

using DiskDump will also work, & you will have a better chance of getting the Boot Sector copied over, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Clonezilla also does disk to disk cloning in 1 operation.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
stridder

Post by stridder »

Reorx wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am Clonezilla also does disk to disk cloning in 1 operation.
Thank you.
Does Clonezilla align partitions correctly?
How to check partition alignment btw?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I don't know (I've never done it) but I assume so - Clonezilla is pretty "smart". In have done disk to image cloning and image restoration and never had a problem. I have never used it to duplicate an entire disk though...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
MichealHeitz

Post by MichealHeitz »

Using Macrium Reflect Free I cloned 1, 2 and 3 expanding the OS partition to as large as could be with enough left over for partitions 4 and 5. Now when I try to go back and clone the last two partitions it says it wants to erase everything and just clone those two partitions. What do I need to do to just copy the partitions over to the new disk?

Return to “Other topics”