[Solved] Music Icons Issue

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Music Icons Issue

Post by Harfud »

Linux Mint 18.3

I put a number of MP3 music tracks into a folder.

I right clicked on each track - Properties.

I left clicked on the icon in the box that opens, another box opens 'select custom icon'.

I selected a custom icon for each track.

I can open and close the folder, and I can boot up and down with the custom icons remaining.

However... If I copy the folder to USB flash drive the custom icons don't remain, neither do they if I burn to CD.

I've tried opening the folder as administrator but if I do then the custom icons are not there.

I've tried opening the folder as administrator to assign the custom icons but they won't assign as administrator.

I think I'm just about out of ideas on how to copy the folder with custom icons either to flash drive or CD.

Does anybody have any ideas ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Icons Issue

Post by Pierre »

However... If I copy the folder to USB flash drive the custom icons don't remain, neither do they if I burn to CD.
that's most likely because the Icons are a simple short-cut to the system's internal icon list,
& which is lost when you copy those files to another media.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Harfud »

That sort of does and doesn't make sense as the original icons are varied, various album covers etc that wouldn't be part of the systems internal icons list. There must be more to it than the systems stock complement of icons as these very specific album cover icons reappear when I copy the folder.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

You might try a custom icon set which has interesting file folders. Custom colors can still be assigned but I am unsure if that disappears on download. Still, if you are interested in spiffing up the folders this would do that. I have a favorite set if you want the link just ask. :)
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Harfud »

Thank you. What's odd is that I can set any Icons that I like for the folder whilst it's on the PC, but as soon as I attempt to remove it from the PC be that by USB or CD burn then the copy reverts to the original icons many of which will not be among the complement of system icons.

Acting as administrator means that I'm unable to even assign custom icons.

I may try it using Fedora Workstation or Windows 7, I have substitute hard drives for my laptop with those operating systems. I'm not really sure where else to go now.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I tried to duplicate that. I copied a custom colored file folder and pasted it to a USB. I then copied it from the USB and pasted it into Documents. It is still in color.

I am using 19beta Cinnamon
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Harfud »

That's odd, you've done what I'm not able to do.

A possible difference being that I'm using photographs as icons.

A significant difference being that you're using Mint 19 and I'm using 18.

I intend to install Mint 19 when it releases which is likely to be soon, perhaps my best option is to wait until then.

Thanks for experimenting...
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Harfud »

I've tried it using Mint 19 but still no success.

When transferred to USB the original icons are transferred not the newly assigned ones.
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] Music Icons Issue

Post by Harfud »

I tried to do this using Mint 18, Mint 19, LMDE2, Windows 7 and Fedora Workstation without success.

I then downloaded EasyTAG from LMDE2 Software Manager which rather long-windedly did the job in LMDE2.

I was able to delete existing music file icons and to replace them with custom icons and with photographs.

I was also able to edit all other parameters relating to the music tracks.

The modified compilation of music tracks copied in it's modified form both to USB flash drive and burned to CD.

Return to “Other topics”