Unable to mount 571 GB Volume

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Inna »

Hello, I have two drives: C and D, and have just removed drive C (contained Windows files). Then I installed Linux Mint.
Mint's working fine, but I do not have access to my drive D. All of my personal and important files are there.
But when I try to open and mount drive D, it shows this error:

Code: Select all

Error mounting /dev/sda4 at /media/saeed/C064AD3264AD2BDA: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sda4" "/media/saeed/C064AD3264AD2BDA"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda4': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
I've read this question and its answer. It worked, but it's read-only. Also I've done what is said in Best Answer of this question, but it did not make it rewritable.
What can I do? Or should I do?
Would you please help me?
I have access no more to Windows. It was Windows 10.
Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Unable to mount 571 GB Volume

Post by thx-1138 »

Inna, i'm afraid that the only way which would be 100% SAFE for your data to not get corrupted,
would be to find a friend with either Win8 or Win10, plug the disk in question, disable Fast Boot & Hibernation, shutdown...
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

If you create a Windows 10 USB or DVD you can boot to that with the drive plugged in.

Wait until it gives you the option to install, obviously you're not going to.. now press ctrl + alt and ( I think ) f10 to pull up the windows cmd command line.
Enter

shutdown /s /f /t 0
and press enter. Your machine will shutdown and that drive should have its hibernation removed.

more info here viewtopic.php?f=90&t=271700&p=1485243#p1485243
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Inna »

thx-1138 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:29 pm Inna, i'm afraid that the only way which would be 100% SAFE for your data to not get corrupted,
would be to find a friend with either Win8 or Win10, plug the disk in question, disable Fast Boot & Hibernation, shutdown...
Thanks friend, but in this way I should remove my hard disk and connect it to another PC/Laptop. I can't do this, and I live alone far from my friends (another city).
Also as far as I remember, I should have disabled fastboot in Win 10 (I'm not sure about this, I think it has done).
Mattyboy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:06 am If you create a Windows 10 USB or DVD you can boot to that with the drive plugged in.

Wait until it gives you the option to install, obviously you're not going to.. now press ctrl + alt and ( I think ) f10 to pull up the windows cmd command line.
Enter

shutdown /s /f /t 0
and press enter. Your machine will shutdown and that drive should have its hibernation removed.

more info here viewtopic.php?f=90&t=271700&p=1485243#p1485243
Thanks Mattyboy, you mean to boot live Win 10? Or just boot Win 10 installation and then go to repair computer, finally cmd?
I can do both and it's possible, I believe you mean the latter one.
-----------------------------------------
Thank you both
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Inna wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks Mattyboy, you mean to boot live Win 10? Or just boot Win 10 installation and then go to repair computer, finally cmd?
I can do both and it's possible, I believe you mean the latter one.
-----------------------------------------
Thank you both
Either method should work... you just need W10 to send the shutdown 'signal' to the drive. No 'repair' needed. It would then be a good idea to delete the hiberfil.sys file from the drive.

Plug the drive into any machine running W10, if you don't have access to one boot the W10 installation media to get the command prompt.

If you wish to know what the command actually does you can find out with

shutdown /?
from cmd or powershell.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Inna wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Error mounting /dev/sda4 at /media/saeed/C064AD3264AD2BDA: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sda4" "/media/saeed/C064AD3264AD2BDA"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda4': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=270015#p1473530
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Mattyboy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:06 am...................................
Mattyboy, if you happen to know of course - can this 'trick' be done with Win8 .iso as well? Or is this feature provided only under Win10?
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

thx-1138 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 am
Mattyboy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:06 am...................................
Mattyboy, if you happen to know of course - can this 'trick' be done with Win8 .iso as well? Or is this feature provided only under Win10?
Pretty sure you can access the command prompt in the same way under 8, yeah
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Inna wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:52 pm Thanks friend, but in this way I should remove my hard disk and connect it to another PC/Laptop. I can't do this, and I live alone far from my friends (another city).
Also as far as I remember, I should have disabled fastboot in Win 10 (I'm not sure about this, I think it has done).
This will destroy any unsaved data that is in the hibernated Windows file. If that's not a problem then you can do this in a terminal:

sudo ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sdXn /path/to/mount/point
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Thank you Mattyboy :)
catweazel, i'm aware of ntfs-3g's abilities (ntfsfix etc), but i'm really not a fan of tweaking ntfs outside a native win environment...
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Inna »

Hello all friends and thank you for the answers.

I'm really not sure how it's solved. Because I've both asked here and unix.stackexchange.com, and I've done all of the tricks here and there I was told. All were done, except booting Win10 USB.
I really don't know which command did the trick, but I just know after trying all of the commands, I rebooted and now it's more than 10 days (I think) that the problem is solved.
After that, I rebooted my Laptop more times, and fortunately no data is removed or damaged. Also it become both readable and writable.

Thanks all

Return to “Other topics”