error on shutdown

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Len99
Level 1
Level 1

error on shutdown

Post by Len99 »

Hi All,

Not knowledgeable of Linux at all, can use it and have fixed some small problems that google will find answers for me but deeper things are a problem, like this one I recently loaded LM19 cinnamon and other than noticing that this version seems slower to load I also have this error message on shutting down, hoping someone can help with this please. And thanks in advance
Cheers Len

A program is still running
AT-SPI-BUS-LAUNCHER
not responding
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kblexel

Re: error on shutdown

Post by kblexel »

hi,Len99,the same problem with you,hope some big buy can help us.waiting here 0.0
Len99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Len99 »

Hi Kbexel,

I got tired of wading through all the google stuff and decided to bite the bullet and do a new installation and changed from LM cinnamon to Mate too. I also found a post that put some doubt onto kernel 4.15.0-24.26 as may of been the problem, though it could of been a few programs I installed?? anyway after re installing it is much better so I won't update the kernels anymore unless I can find out if they are really good. I also found a few howto's on changing the kernel back to a different one at bootup, unfortunately that just made matters worse for me and I did follow the easy instructions but cinnamon just started crashing after that and I couldnt change the kernel back!!
kblexel

Post by kblexel »

after i install the mint ,it told me to update the kernel. so i update to the 4.15.0-24.26.and i solved many problem by google.but the mainly problem i cant solve is a few minutes black screen after entering the system.so i find the answer in this forum ,they said dont update the kernel ,but i tried to chang the kernel back it crashed,the same like you i think,so i reinstalled the mint and didnt update the kernel,so its better.but sometimes restart the system happen the problem AT-SPI-BUS-LAUNCHER running.i think its a small problem.i am still using cinnamon,so you're using mate?is it still have the problem AT-SPI-BUS-LAUNCHER ?sorry my english is not good so i cant understand what you said very well.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Hmm, searched "ubuntu AT-SPI-BUS-LAUNCHER" and found this:

https://gnomeshell.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... lications/

Which indicates you probably don't need it unless you're using the accessibility features. Try going into settings > startup applications (or something like that, I haven't had Cinnamon installed for years) and see it it's on that list, and if so uncheck it and reboot.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Len99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Len99 »

Hi and thanks Hoser Bob, I did find that about the accessibility program and did what it said but it didn't fix the problem and my boot up and shutdown times progressively increased.

hi to you to kblexel .... have been using Mate and have turned it into a nice looking desktop after downloading some new themes , loaded everything I normally use and haven't had any issues yet I have not upgraded the kernel either, but this time I have downloaded a seperate program called "REDO" from the internet which is a "whole system" backup tool, you boot with a CD with Redo on it, and backup the entire hard drive partition to an image this way if anything happens I can reinstall the image....

Just a learning curve and I still love my Linux Mint, just trying a new flavour for awhile eh!
kblexel

Post by kblexel »

Hi,Len99.im tired of installing again again too,and i have set my everything in my mint ,so i will use cinnamon.REDO look like a good program,i will try it later.And maybe i will try mate later too.Now i just want to use mint for some time.Before mint,ubuntu was the first linux i used.and many problems i cant solve,deepin too,now mint is much better than ubuntu,so i love it too.
Len99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Len99 »

Hi leblexel, I too really like Linux now and could never go back to MS Windows ever, and Linux Mint was a great system to use but it has caused me a number of issues that I am not smart enough to find and fix. I have tried timeshift but for what ever reason that has not done its job either, but I think there are other distros with cinnamon too so I might give them a shot in the coming weeks too...... enjoy your Linux experience it is a great OS and much safer and cheaper than MS
kblexel

Post by kblexel »

hi Len99,I hope you can find a better distros soon. For me,i cant leave win10,because many APP in windows is very vonvenient and more efficient in life and work and most of them dont have linux version.I install linux because i want to try something different,so i use windows and mint on my laptop.We dont pay for windows ,so for me the mint is safer,and more clear and personality than windows.
Fifis

Post by Fifis »

I can confirm that after downgrading from kernel 4.15.0-24 to 4.15.0-23, the long start-up problem was resolved. Probably one should not upgrade to 4.15.0-24. I am using Lenovo W520 with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.

UPDATE. Both the long start-up and long shut-down problem went away as soon as I switched to 4.15.0-23.
Len99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Len99 »

Fifis wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 pm I can confirm that after downgrading from kernel 4.15.0-24 to 4.15.0-23, the long start-up problem was resolved. Probably one should not upgrade to 4.15.0-24. I am using Lenovo W520 with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.

UPDATE. Both the long start-up and long shut-down problem went away as soon as I switched to 4.15.0-23.
Hi Fifis, Thank you for your input and information, I have moved over to LM Mate edition and not updated from 4.15.0-20-generic to any newer kernels as yet, the latest one is 4.15.0.23.25 which is interesting that is has those extra numbers on the end (25) to it, is that significant? and do you know if this is a passover or an update of 24?

one other interesting thing I have noticed after reading a post that showed me I could choose preferences within update manager to turn off kernel selecting automatically which I have tried to do, but as soon as I update the preferences it still marks the kernel with that tick! so I have stopped even viewing the kernel in available updates...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Len99 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:02 pm Hi Fifis, Thank you for your input and information, I have moved over to LM Mate edition and not updated from 4.15.0-20-generic to any newer kernels as yet, the latest one is 4.15.0.23.25 which is interesting that is has those extra numbers on the end (25) to it, is that significant? and do you know if this is a passover or an update of 24?
The kernel 4.15.0.23.25 should be safe to upgrade to. The issue is with 4.15.0.24.26.

We're generally just using the bold part of the version number as a shorthand to refer to these versions. In the Ubuntu kernel naming convention that's the ABI version of the kernel within that series. The number following right after is the upload counter for kernels of that series. Both numbers can only ever increase within a series.

Return to “Other topics”