LM 18.3 system crashing

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VirusZero

LM 18.3 system crashing

Post by VirusZero »

So for some back history, I set up the system with Linux Mint 18.3 a while ago for the purpose of running Kodi+Emby as a media centre. I had it hardwired to the router with an ethernet cable for maximum stability.
When I originally set it up I made a mistake and didn't partition the hard drive so that the OS was on one part and the media was on another. (More on this in a bit.) Kodi decided not to play nice and had some issues (plugins wouldn't work, it wouldn't update, etc...) so I uninstalled it. But then the system itself started crashing every 2-3 days. By that I mean the system would lock completely up, wouldn't respond to the keyboard at all. Nothing would show on the screen. It was like it had shut off... I tried escape+escape, ctrl+alt+escape, ctrl+alt+f1 (to open terminal) but it didn't work at all. The only way to get the system to respond was to power it off completely. I moved the server from where it was to a new location (so I could more easily work on the system and see what was going on) and in doing so had to install edimax wireless drivers (using this method) so the system would have an internet connection.

Eventually I decided to reinstall the OS. To do this I used GParted Live to split some off the larger media partition to make an OS partition this time. I did that and installed the OS to this new partition. I then deleted all of the old OS files off the media partition (leaving only the actual media files).

It's been a few weeks since I've done that now and things had started to work fine. Up until the last few days. Once again it has begun to crash and be completely locked out/non-responsive.
The only programs I've installed are:
- Vivaldi (my preferred web browser)
- Deluge
- Emby
- edimax wireless drivers (using same method as above).

So I'm not sure what exactly is going on here. Is this a hardware issue? A software issue? Combination of the two?

Here's a copy of the inxi -Fxz file...

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Mintbox Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 4518RU6 v: ThinkCentre M91p
           Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A Bios: LENOVO v: 9HKT43AUS date: 07/11/2011
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-2400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 24743
           clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 1599 MHz 2: 1619 MHz 3: 2021 MHz
           4: 1638 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.79hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4000.8GB (62.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST4000DM004 size: 4000.8GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 59G used: 7.1G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.95GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 677.0/3775.9MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
I'm sure there are other log files necessary, let me know what you need and I'll grab them.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
VirusZero

Re: LM 18.3 system crashing

Post by VirusZero »

Sometime earlier today the server crashed again. (Making it right about 3 days since it's last crash.)

This time the server was only running Emby and Deluge. I thought it might have been Vivaldi (possible memory leak there) but with it not even running and yet the system crashed completely it rules it out.

I ran a memtest on it just to ensure that there were no visible problems with the RAM, since I've heard RAM problems can cause this kind of lock up. (Ran 2 complete passes.) And the results of that came back empty.

Thoughts?

Return to “Other topics”