Backup Tool - LM19Cinnamon

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gk_021176
Level 1
Level 1

Backup Tool - LM19Cinnamon

Post by gk_021176 »

Hello Team,

I have installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon Desktop. I am very happy with the desktop. Thank you.

I have started taking Backup using Backup Tool. But, I am not finding any documentation on Backup Tool.

My question is

If we take 1st Backup and will the subsequent backups will be incremental of it is going to be full complete backup ?

Regards,
Ananda
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Backup Tool - LM19Cinnamon

Post by gm10 »

gk_021176 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 am If we take 1st Backup and will the subsequent backups will be incremental of it is going to be full complete backup ?
Backup Tool creates full backups of your home folder.

Timeshift creates incremental backups of your root or anything else you tell it to.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

You might want to have a look as well at rsync/grsync for incremental backups. Rsync is by the way what Timeshift uses too, under the hood, that is.
gk_021176
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gk_021176 »

Thank you all.

Now, I got it. The backup tool takes complete backup (/home and any other folder/files which we choose), whereas Timeshift takes complete + incremental backups.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

By default Timeshift does not back up /home.....it's intended as a system recovery tool which leaves your personal files alone.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

- the Timeshift program would backup the system or / root files
- the Mint Backup program would backup the user or /home files

whereas Grsync could be configured to both.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Alpha_sh

Post by Alpha_sh »

Pierre wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:07 am - the Timeshift program would backup the system or / root files
- the Mint Backup program would backup the user or /home files

whereas Grsync could be configured to both.
you can configure Timeshift to back up your /home directory in the settings
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

Alpha_sh wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 pm you can configure Timeshift to back up your /home directory in the settings
You can, but you probably shouldn't. If you discover a system instability and want to roll back, you probably don't want any changes you've made to your documents to be rolled back also.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Mage of Maple wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 pm
Alpha_sh wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 pm you can configure Timeshift to back up your /home directory in the settings
You can, but you probably shouldn't. If you discover a system instability and want to roll back, you probably don't want any changes you've made to your documents to be rolled back also.
THIS^^^ Learned the hard way! :oops:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yep - - that could be awkward, if your Documents were rolled back,
and you weren't aware that they had been changed.

like most software, you sure can modify their behaviour to suit your own particular needs,
but you do need to be aware of any resultant issues that could arise, from such an modification.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Other topics”