Info about Linux Mint 19 KDE

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MaoMao2

Info about Linux Mint 19 KDE

Post by MaoMao2 »

Hello to all.
Thank you for your work!

Towards/near the end of the year 2017 I had read in ur blog that the KDE version of Linux mint 19 would be released much later.
(no prob for this, just in waiting mode because for now i use 18.3 KDE in USB "persistent")

First question = U can to tell me (approximately) the date of release of the KDE version for Linux Mint 19?

Second question = (only for info) with this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop kde-plasma-desktop kscreen
I will turn the v19 (Mate or Chinnamon) into the full KDE OR i will have only the KDE Desktop?
I ask this because i don't like Chinnamon, much of my software work only in KDE and no in chinnamon..
(never tested the MATE)

Thank you so much for everything!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Info about Linux Mint 19 KDE

Post by catweazel »

MaoMao2 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 am First question = U can to tell me (approximately) the date of release of the KDE version for Linux Mint 19?
There will be no more Mint KDE. If you want to roll your own Mint KDE, see this: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=267121#p1453646
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MaoMao2

Post by MaoMao2 »

I see, sad for me this.
Tyvm for ur repy i will read ur link.
TY..

Edit:
Ok, pheraps for me now is better to stay in v18.3 KDE, when we will have a secure command for change all in KDE i will download the v19.
TYVM
percycarte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by percycarte »

I do like KDE and settled on Cinnamon. However the files for running a KDE session are still all available. I used synaptic to install kde-full and kubuntu which seemed to provide all that I needed. Then when you login there is a little symbol in the topright login window, right-click and KDE plasma will be one of the options which you then can choose. There you are KDE. Might need a bit of tweaking with other installs but you get the picture.
PC
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

MaoMao2 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 ammuch of my software work only in KDE and no in chinnamon..
I do not understand the above statement. I have been operating under the impression that any (linux-native) application will work under any of the available desktop environments as long as one has the correct toolkit (Qt in this case) installed. And, as far as I know, the first time the user attempts to install something that does require a different toolkit, Synaptic Package Manager (et cetera) will take care of that requirement by installing it at that time.

Am I mistaken?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 am
MaoMao2 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 ammuch of my software work only in KDE and no in chinnamon..
I do not understand the above statement. I have been operating under the impression that any (linux-native) application will work under any of the available desktop environments as long as one has the correct toolkit (Qt in this case) installed. And, as far as I know, the first time the user attempts to install something that does require a different toolkit, Synaptic Package Manager (et cetera) will take care of that requirement by installing it at that time.

Am I mistaken?

Regards,
MDM
Actually it's not all that unusual for KDE programs to work a lot worse in non KDE DEs. The only issue I ever had was with Okular only working properly in KDE, which was a pain since it's the only Linux pdf reader I know of that doesn't stink. It's not just the Qt libraries, it's the integration with the DE as well.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Other topics”