Mint 18.3 does not load some sites while Win did it [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 18.3 does not load some sites while Win did it

Post by Inna »

Thanks all for the replies:

1- Sorry for the "site.ir" and not telling you assume it's my website. As in my country, mostly we refer something like test.ir or site.ir to assume this is you/my website, then we continue anything we want to tell or teach.
Firewall is disabled. I mean it was disabled when I opened Firewall Configuration! That surprised me!

2- I ran command wget https://whmcs.community and it downloaded index.html.
Because in Iran some websites are banned and not accessible via Iranian IP, I changed my IP to DE, but still it was unable to load.
I hit ctrl+u to see the source of the page, that it showed me complete source. But visually I see nothing.

3- As long as I remember, I've tried in Chrome and Firefox (Firefox's cache is always empty, it's set to be empty and cleared), but both showed the same that did not load.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

So if wget came through that means that the connection is not blocked at the network level.

That leaves an issue with the browsers. Are you running any extensions, security software or anything else that would intercept calls to a certain website in those browsers?
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Have you by chance tried a text-based browser, like lynx? Just trying to eliminate one more thing...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you may need to change your DNS then. openDNS is commonly known, what is your DNS? https://dnsleaktest.com/ se;ect the standard test
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Inna »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:28 am So if wget came through that means that the connection is not blocked at the network level.

That leaves an issue with the browsers. Are you running any extensions, security software or anything else that would intercept calls to a certain website in those browsers?
I have DE VPS, using there Chrome, synced my gmail there and all of my extensions are in VPS too. But there's no problem loading whmcs.community in that Chrome.
If any extension should prevent loading, then VPS should not be able to load website either.

I believe there's nothing wrong, but I may be wrong. I'm not sure.
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Inna »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:12 pm Have you by chance tried a text-based browser, like lynx? Just trying to eliminate one more thing...
I'll try it and tell you.
But I can use something like curl whmcs.community to show it fully loads the source, but does not the visual web page.
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Inna »

trytip wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:27 pm you may need to change your DNS then. openDNS is commonly known, what is your DNS? https://dnsleaktest.com/ se;ect the standard test
Hello, these are the results of standard DNS:

Code: Select all

5.126.0.4	none	Iran Cell Service and Communication Company	Iran, Islamic Republic of
5.126.0.5	none	Iran Cell Service and Communication Company	Iran, Islamic Republic of
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

It can be a IPV6 issue. Disable IPV6 via NetworkManager settings and try again.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i don't like that mint now has TWO network connection settings in system tray. check both of these and change them to openDNS
1: click on network tray icon select Network Settings and click the gear next to your connection wired or wifi and enter these numbers in the IPv4 then hit apply

2: now click on network tray icon select Network Connections doubleclick your connection go to IPv4 Settings change Method: Automatic (DHCP) addresses only and copy this to DNS servers:

208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220
once both of these are as you see in the pictures you need to restart your connection, click network tray and select your wifi or wired it should turn it off, then select it again to turn it on
test your DNS again https://dnsleaktest.com/ and it should say OpenDNS, LLC

do you have IPv6: test here https://test-ipv6.com/ first and we can change that too
Inna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Inna »

administrollaattori wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 am It can be a IPV6 issue. Disable IPV6 via NetworkManager settings and try again.
Thanks, it seems this solution solved the problem as https://whmcs.community is now fully loaded with no problem.

Thanks a lot again :D
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 18.3 does not load some sites while Win did it [SOLVED]

Post by kpearsonxyz »

Thank you for adding the solution. That works for me, too.

Now, does anyone know if we will be able to go back to using IPV6 at some point? Clearly, it's broken, if only on Chrome. I can use Firefox, but only because it has proxy settings internally I can play with. I was assuming that's where the problem lies. It works on Firefox before and after disabling, or rather "Ignoring" IPV6 settings in the network setup.

Thank you!
KpearsonXYZ
Registered Linux User 424918
(15 years on Linux before[/i ]registering)
Only Linux. All Linux. Full-time Linux.
Support Windows under duress, but do it good enough for gov'ment work.
Mitakuye

Post by Mitakuye »

Hope this resurrection of an old thread does not bother anyone, because I just want to say this fixed my problem.

When I first installed Mint 19.1 Xfce, all my streaming websites worked. However, then I did my updates through the managers and none of these websites would load a full page. When they would load, then just a few pictures and borders.
kukamuumuka wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 am It can be a IPV6 issue. Disable IPV6 via NetworkManager settings and try again.
So, I did this and my streaming websites are rocking!

For me, I had to set the IPV6 setting to "ignore" in the NetworkManager for my wireless connection.

Hope i'm not sacrificing any security by doing this. Thank you OP and everyone for helping him and me too!

Late edit : 8jan2020,2:09 : quick update, forgot to say that this was on the Firefox browser, I never changed any other setting, except IPV6 to ignore in NetworkManger.

Return to “Other topics”