Unable to repair broken packages libsqlite3-0

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pdccnet

Unable to repair broken packages libsqlite3-0

Post by pdccnet »

So, when trying to run updates via Update Manager, I got a message about "broken packages". I pulled up Synaptic Package Manager and, sure enough, 2 broken packages: libsqlite3-0 and libsqlite3-0;i386.
I tried using Synaptic's "Fix Broken Packages" routine. It turns one of the boxes "green". The other becomes "amber" with an "x" in it.
Then I click "Apply" and Synaptic closes abruptly. When I re-open Synaptic, the broken packages are still there.

So, I then started searching for ways to do this via the terminal. I found one recommendation to run these commands, one at a time, in order:
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install

I tried all of those. But what is interesting is the results of "apt-get -f install":
sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
libtag1v5:i386
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:i386 ia32-libs libnss3:i386 libqtwebkit4:i386
libsoup-gnome2.4-1:i386 libsoup2.4-1:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 108 not upgraded.
Illegal instruction

I'm not quite sure what to do from here. Maybe I should post this in the "Newbie" forum? I am still a bit of a "newb"; I just know how to google for information. But everything I've found trying to work through this is not helping. I hope someone with more experience than I can help me fix this.
Thanks,
PDCCNET

[Linux Mint 18 Sarah]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to repair broken packages libsqlite3-0

Post by rene »

pdccnet wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:10 pm Illegal instruction
Are you perchance on AMD Athlon XP? The output of inxi -C will tell.
pdccnet

Post by pdccnet »

Sorry to be so long. I didn't get notified that anyone had posted a reply.
So, I ran the inxi -C command and got this:
CPU: Quad core AMD A10 Micro-6700T APU+AMD Radeon R6 Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
clock speeds: max: 1200 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1000 MHz 3: 1000 MHz
4: 1000 MHz

So, it would appear not AMD Athlon?

I've about given up on being able to repair this. Will probably restore from my last Clonezilla backup, even if it's a bit old.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

No indeed, and more specifically, certainly with SSE2: the "Illegal instruction" made me suspect it could be the issue.

Or take the opportunity to fresh-install Mint 19.
pdccnet

Post by pdccnet »

Not really wanting to do a fresh install because I have a number of installed programs and files (i.e. a VM) that I don't want to have to re-create or try to restore from a backup.
If there were a way to do a "repair" install where one just overwrites the existing OS, I'd be okay with that. But from what I see, Mint wants me to install a new partition or completely reformat the existing partition.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

VMs tend to be trivial to move between releases. With e.g. VirtualBox and a standard .vdi virtual disk, a VM is fully in "~/VirtualBox VMs". Importing it into a new install is a trivial matter of opening the .vbox file in the new install of VirtualBox. In a theoretical sense you could install over the old install from the "Something else" option in the installer by electing to not format the partition(s) you aim to keep -- but definitely (!) you shouldn't; you'd end up with a very poorly defined system...

I'd try simply reinstalling just synaptic: sudo apt-get install --reinstall synaptic. Likely doesn't change anything. sudo apt-get install -f?

[EDIT] Oh, sorry, had to reread the OP (it had been a while...), it's actually apt-get install -f which bombs out. Not sure what to suggest.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

... although I'd try

Code: Select all

$ sudo rm /var/cache/apt/*.bin
$ sudo apt-get update

Return to “Other topics”