Multiple Problems on Old Laptop [Mint 18 XFCE][SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nonkreon

Re: Multiple Problems on Old Laptop [Mint 18 XFCE]

Post by nonkreon »

MrEen wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:41 pm The running fan might not help much if something is blocking the vents. For example, are the vents on the bottom and the laptop is in your lap?
I know some people need that to be reminded and wish the answer was that simple; there are some passive air intake vents at the bottom which should have clear ways, and the laptop has an exhaust vent on its back below the display bezel, it's a fairly nice design if you ask me.

Took a pic to make it easier to visualize:

That's one of the reasons it's not easy to let this machine go :-)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ nonkreon, .......
nonkreon wrote: .
Try editing the kernel boot parameters with acpi = off, ... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

acpi = CPU Power Management feature in Linux for battery-powered laptops, which lacks support from Intel and AMD = eg CPU state for idle, sleep, suspend, hibernate, etc.
Last edited by michael louwe on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

nonkreon wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:00 pm Booted the computer up, did what is told on the askubuntu post, rebooted, waited for 5 minutes or so to let it stabilize and this is what the temps read:

Code: Select all

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +84.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +82.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
Core 1: +81.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
Those look like the output of acpi -V. In any case, thermal transfer compound bakes over time & I would expect to clean off the dried crud & replace it within a decade at best. Mine undoubtedly needs doing, on this ancient Dell machine. Still, I was surprised by the cool reported temps earlier despite the heat in here, having had issues last year. I have removed rather a lot of cat fluff though. :oops: The machine is propped against the base of a table, propped a couple of inches off the floor; built-in display has been removed. It is still a bit too hot for comfort though.

Make sure none of the retaining clips (or screws) have come loose and (if you can access it easily) check carefully how hot the heatsink is getting. Mine's accessible by removing one of the bottom case panels. A photo of the base of your machine might be helpful to determine the accessibility.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
nonkreon

Post by nonkreon »

michael louwe wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:18 am Try editing the kernel boot parameters with acpi = off
When I tried to boot like that I never even got to TTY :-(

Related to it, I tried with noapic which didn't make a difference in the temps and nolapic which made the computer totally forget about one of the physical cores. I don't know if it matters since the problems might be arising at the BIOS but the CPU has both ACPI and APIC flags.
BG405 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:05 pm Those look like the output of acpi -V. In any case, thermal transfer compound bakes over time & I would expect to clean off the dried crud & replace it within a decade at best.
That's actually the output of sensors from lm-sensors. It looks like that's what I need to focus on, getting in there, giving it a good cleaning and reinstall some heat dissipation mechanism.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I'd like to report that I've redone the thermal compound on my Dell (with a lot of help from a friend who has better eyesight than I have at present) & the results are quite impressive.

Apart from the clag & fluff on the inside of the case behind (and in) the fan, the thermal transfer materials were in a terrible state. Not only was the CPU compound (applied in the factory) excessive in quantity, it had baked hard. But the pad fitted under the GPU was worse. A slab of what might just as well have been plasticine; over a 25th of an inch thick (about a millimetre) & peeled off in large chunks. The coils were clogged too; not something you can get at without stripping it down. No wonder the poor thing was struggling when running graphically demanding applications such as some of the nice screensavers, even if fine with videos.

The fan exhaust actually blows out COOL air now, in comparison. Core temps now managing to stay below around 53°C for the most part, approximately a 15°C drop, so it was well worth the strip-down and reassembly. Fan comes on for a bit then goes off now, not staying on most of the time like before which it still did even in cooler room temperatures.. :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
nonkreon

Post by nonkreon »

I cleaned the insides of the laptop using rubbing alcohol and compressed air cans and have been observing over the last few days before I said anything else. Although I didn't put on any new thermal paste, the computer is cooler now and more silent (the fans don't blare while playing Aisleriot :-D), and all problems regarding bootup/shutdown/suspend/resume are gone, the machine is able to do all of them at all times now.

Thanks everybody for all your help.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Multiple Problems on Old Laptop [Mint 18 XFCE][SOLVED]

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Every 5 years I split open my 7 laptops and remove the thermal paste and replace it with ArcticSilver Ceramic Thermal Paste.
I have an Asus Pro X450CA laptop and I had to totally take it apart to get to the CMOS/RTC battery. Never again. So, I found where the battery was positioned on the bottom of the laptop and cut out several small pieces of plastic that covered the battery inside the bottom cover, so that when I take off the bottom cover, the battery is in plain sight.
Glad you got it running.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Return to “Other topics”