What is the lowest cost useful Linux Mint notebook with Wifi

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

What is the lowest cost useful Linux Mint notebook with Wifi

Post by Petermint »

Often I am recommending Raspberry Pi machines and similar for home automation. They have Wifi. Solar systems have Wifi. For example: https://petermoulding.com/solar_power_i ... _australia

The user then needs a notebook to read all the data and show on a decent size screen. Of course they need Linux, not the horrible proprietary operating systems from Apple, Google, and Microsoft. The local suppliers will not let me performa test install of LM 19 on their demonstration machines. :evil:

What is the lowest cost notebook with Wifi, a replaceable disk, and can run Linux Mint 19 without modification?

I used a netbook for a while. It had Wifi. I upgraded the disk. Most cheap devices have soldered in storage that is too small or they use an unrelable rotating disks. I usually recomment an upgrade to an SSD of at least 256 GB. eMMC storage is not an option.

I also found the netbook 10" screen too small for normal use. At that size, you might as well look at photographs on your telephone. I currently 14" and most of my friends have 15".

My processor runs Cinnamon at a reasonable speed. I have not tested modern processors. I did test a previous MATE and found it about the same speed as Cinnamon. LXDE was measurably lighter at the time, against LM 18 Cinnamon, but I had problems configuring LXDE. I have not tested anything else. What would be the minimum speed low power processor for LM 19?

Our local relaible retailer of laptops has a Celeron N3350 based laptop sitting at the lowest price for a 14" screen. Unfortunately it is locked into eMMC storage.
For slightly more, I can get a 14" laptop with an AMD A4-9120 and real disk storage. This is the machine I would probably recommend as a starting point if LM 19 would install direct and work at full speed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What is the lowest cost useful Linux Mint notebook with Wifi

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:37 am For slightly more, I can get a 14" laptop with an AMD A4-9120 and real disk storage. This is the machine I would probably recommend as a starting point if LM 19 would install direct and work at full speed.
If it's a laptop, just run up a live USB installation.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

A refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I asked about that in one shop and they threw me out. Thought I was going to hack their network.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

A refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad
I looked at local suppliers of one year old refurbished computers with an as new guarantee, one year. Compared to the original retail price, they look like a big saving. Compared to the current models that are on sale, the refurbished models are slightly more expensive.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I've never had them that new. My current one is from 2012 and I see no reason to replace it any time soon. In fact my partner just bought some spares: they were 125 € a piece. Add an SSD and some RAM and you're in fine shape for all of 250 €.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:27 am
I asked about that in one shop and they threw me out. Thought I was going to hack their network.
Well, you at least know they don't know their stuff so it was probably a good thing for you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Look at your local Auction houses, often they have retired ex-govt laptops, may with a very good spec.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Get a second hand ex corporate thinkpad, T430's are very good value, look at ebay or amazon (I've bought from both).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Other topics”