Recommend trustworthy DNS Leak tools?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Johnsmith001

Recommend trustworthy DNS Leak tools?

Post by Johnsmith001 »

Hi there,

I been looking for some best tools to check DNS leak properly, I have observed that there are many results of even Google Organic shows that some VPN provider developed their own tools to misleading user's like me :) which is more credible? dnsleaktest.com or https://www.vpninsights.com/dns-leak-test ?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Recommend trustworthy DNS Leak tools?

Post by catweazel »

Johnsmith001 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:07 am Hi there,

I been looking for some best tools to check DNS leak properly, I have observed that there are many results of even Google Organic shows that some VPN provider developed their own tools to misleading user's like me :) which is more credible? dnsleaktest.com or https://www.vpninsights.com/dns-leak-test ?
Why are you asking when you just recommended vpninsights.com to someone not a few minutes back?

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=270477&start=20#p1506167
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Johnsmith001

Post by Johnsmith001 »

just confirming my recommendation, was i right or not.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Johnsmith001 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:26 am just confirming my recommendation, was i right or not.
The way to find out is to run the two leak sites side by side and compare the results, which is all one would need do to answer the question.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Faust

Post by Faust »

There's a good collection of tools here :-

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/28/the-u ... urce-list/
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

I like to use wireshark on the outgoing interface, wlp2s0 in my case, to see if any traffic leaves unencrypted.
So no need to depend on external services.
The only public IP that should show up is the one of the VPN server one is connected to.
tcpdump can do the same.
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snafu »

before I solved the problem I used to wrestle with DNS leaks regularly. I found that Astrill

Code: Select all

https://www.astrill.com/vpn-leak-test
often found my true DNS when other tests said there was no leak
When all else fails follow the instructions
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

For those interested in securing DNS over a VPN:

1) Set your router's DNS servers to your VPN provider's DNS servers. I use two different providers, and you can use these no matter what your VPN provider is:

2) Add these lines to your .ovpn file (from your provider) before installing it:

block-outside-dns
script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down-pre
Reboot. Your leak tests should now all be clean.

Return to “Other topics”