</solved> Boot Capacities on a new build

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

</solved> Boot Capacities on a new build

Post by katalia369 »

I have said this before in previous posts, I know hardware...software not so much. My biggest weakness is Networking, well that and the fact I am about three levels of tech behind the times in some instances.

I am being forced to admit the death of my current system "The Mystery Machine". She was a stable workhorse that has plugged away steadily for the last 10 years, but the both CPU just fried and last year the motherboard fried and It's just time to upgrade. So I picked a scaled up model of a WWII Sherman M4 tank and decided it would make a good case and my next build is based off "Tank Girl" 8) YAY MicroATX form factor, it fits perfect!

Linux is my preferred environment but some jobs require Windows sadly, there is just no getting around it. I would like a dual boot system, preferably with separate drives for the two systems and using the cloud for my shared files with an external backup. I have played with with IDE and SATA, but never SSD so this is a new set of specs for me to learn. I am going to list my motherboard and CPU choices below. What I would like is:

Would the board support both an SSD and a SATA HD simultaneously or am I looking at dual booting off one partitioned drive?

ASUS B450M-4/CSM AMD Socket AM4
AMD Rysen 5 1600 6 Core 3.2 GHz

According to the description the mobo has an M2 socket for an SSD but I am having trouble understanding the way the details about SATA are worded in the notes as to if it can handle both drives simultaneously or not. Much seems to depend on the type of processor I select from the way it's written. I just don't get some of the new to me tech references.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Boot Capacities on a new build

Post by catweazel »

katalia369 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 pm Would the board support both an SSD and a SATA HD simultaneously
Yes. This is standard. There would be uproar if it didn't support both drive types simultaneously.
katalia369 wrote: According to the description the mobo has an M2 socket for an SSD but I am having trouble understanding the way the details about SATA are worded in the notes as to if it can handle both drives simultaneously or not. Much seems to depend on the type of processor I select from the way it's written. I just don't get some of the new to me tech references.
As you didn't include a link to what you're concerned about not understanding, the meaning can't be given. The Ryzen CPU you've selected is fine, and you won't have issues mixing M.2 and SATA drives, or booting from either one at will. The very first thing you should do with that board, before you install any OS, is update the BIOS.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Boot Capacities on a new build

Post by katalia369 »

Thank you!

Like I said a few steps behind on some tech and SSD is one of them.

Kat

Return to “Other topics”