Zenity

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Zenity

Post by Ebere »

For the first time in years,, I visited a website, and my computer completely locked up.

In a bit, it unlocked enough that I could click something and wait a few minutes and something would happen. It was like playing a newer game on a really old computer. Very very slow. And some things still didn't work.

Once I got the system monitor open, (To see what was taking up all the CPU cycles.), the only thing I found that I have never seen before, was "Zenity". It was not taking all the CPU cycles, but it was taking more than anything else.

And in fact, NOTHING was taking up so many cycles that the computer should be that slow. If you added every visible process together you wouldn't have reached 50% of the CPU.

I had to do a reboot to get my computer back.

The website was youtube. Been using youtube for as long as they have been around, and never had this happen before. Instead of watching the vid on the page where I found it, I "opened it in youtube" instead.

I'll put the link here, but not recommending anyone follow it, just because. Hoping someone better at this, than me, will investigate it and give an all-clear if this wasn't the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVUds_LugBw

Is this something to be concerned about?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Zenity

Post by Pjotr »

No problem with viewing the linked video (well, the announcement really). And no Zenity (which is a legitimate app) in my system processes either....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i believe you clicked the video when it was doing a LIVE Stream. it saying the live stream will return in 2 hours from now. maybe test it again then if you wish. some info can be found in .xsession-errors about crashes. i usually delete .xsession-errors and loggoff/on to refresh the file so it's easier to troubleshoot. the file can get pretty large at times especially if you don't reboot

if i'm around i'll try the site live to see what's going on, but most likely it was the chat area having too many users commenting
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Zenity is just a small program for creating GUIs (dialogs/windows) from shell scripts or the terminal - quite a few scripts depend on it, so it's perfectly normal to have it installed. If it was running, then it was most likely called by a script.

Typing zenity --question --text "Are you sure you want to give me $100?"; echo $? will show you an example of what it does.

I don't visit youtube unless it's absolutely unavoidable ;)
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

Thanks all!! :D

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Return to “Other topics”