[SOLVED] Middle click with three fingers tap on XFCE edition

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zangetsu
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Middle click with three fingers tap on XFCE edition

Post by zangetsu »

On Mint 19 XFCE, I would like to set middle click with three fingers tap on my touchpad. When I was on Linux Mint 18 KDE edition, touchpad's settings had that option but now on XFCE there isn't that option...So, I followed this guide...but it didn't work.

How could I obtain what I want? :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zangetsu
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Touchpad middle click with three fingers tap on XFCE

Post by zangetsu »

Up
zangetsu
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Middle click with three fingers tap on XFCE edition

Post by zangetsu »

Up
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You can test for output from your touch pad using xev run in the terminal.

E.g on Mint Cinnamon 19 and my hardware a three finger tap returns button 2 (middle click) by default. The click settings for the Touchpad are set to Automatic.

I've just checked in a Vbox install of XFCE 19 and on my hardware at least the three finger tap works by default. Might be different in a bare metal install though... :? gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method returns 'fingers'

if your is different you can set it via gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method 'fingers'

You can easily review the touchpad settings using the GUI app dconf-editor - apt install dconf-editor

Is your touchpad working correctly otherwise? If all the settings look Ok and it's still not working you could try an alternative touchpad driver. See the XFCE release notes here for instructions - https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_xfce.php
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
zangetsu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zangetsu »

smurphos wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 am You can test for output from your touch pad using xev run in the terminal.
I tried xev command and when I tap the touchpad with three fingers there is no output in the terminal instead, when I use the middle click with USB mouse, It detects the button pressure and then the release...this is the output with USB Mouse:

Code: Select all

ButtonPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x5000001,
    root 0x190, subw 0x0, time 587275, (162,2), root:(1033,438),
    state 0x10, button 2, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x5000001,
    root 0x190, subw 0x0, time 587403, (162,2), root:(1033,438),
    state 0x210, button 2, same_screen YES

smurphos wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 am E.g on Mint Cinnamon 19 and my hardware a three finger tap returns button 2 (middle click) by default. The click settings for the Touchpad are set to Automatic.
Yeah, with Cinnamon or KDE It was all fine...
smurphos wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 am I've just checked in a Vbox install of XFCE 19 and on my hardware at least the three finger tap works by default. Might be different in a bare metal install though... :?
Yes, I think it could be different
smurphos wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 am gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method returns 'fingers'
if your is different you can set it via gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method 'fingers'
Same output...'fingers'
smurphos wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 am You can easily review the touchpad settings using the GUI app dconf-editor - apt install dconf-editor
Everything seems good. The only thing worthy of note is that there is no a middle click setting :lol:
smurphos wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 am Is your touchpad working correctly otherwise? If all the settings look Ok and it's still not working you could try an alternative touchpad driver. See the XFCE release notes here for instructions - https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_xfce.php
I tried even this...not even "libinput" driver worked...

I am desperate :x
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Mmm.....may be sending you off on a wild goose chase but....using libinput .....viewtopic.php?f=208&t=275565&start=20#p1512113
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
zangetsu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zangetsu »

After several imprecations, I abandoned libinput and switched back to synaptics driver. Then I found out that synclient TapButton3=2 command works for what I was searching for...so, I created an executable script with the following code:

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash

synclient TapButton3=2
exit 0
and I run it, automatically, at every startup.

Thanks a lot for the help....so, this is the end :D

Return to “Other topics”