Password issue, and encrypted home folder

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tlane67550

Password issue, and encrypted home folder

Post by tlane67550 »

Ok. I was using Mint 18 on a Dell Optiplex 7010 i7 with 16GB of ram. I upgraded to 19 and had a few issues, but nothing I couldn't figure out. I couldn't load virtualbox, so I rebooted. That's where the problem happened. On reboot, the same root password and account I have used for years wouldn't work. I typed it repeatedly, and carefully and it won't let me log in. So, I installed 19 fresh on a new hard drive thinking I'd pull my stuff from the old one. The home folder was encrypted using the option you get during installation. Of course, I can't access the old home folder. I've googled and tried multiple command line methods, and nothing works. Does anyone know why the computer quit recognizing the password I used on it for years? If not, what I really would like is to get my data back. Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Password issue, and encrypted home folder

Post by MrEen »

Hi tlane67550, and welcome to the forum.

Check the obvious first. Is Caps lock on? Num lock? Does typing your password in a text editor reveal any non working keys?
tlane67550

Post by tlane67550 »

It's not a keyboard issue, or other user error. Same password on my new install works fine.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Check that input language wasn't changed, that can shuffle characters around. In case of doubt use the accessibility on-screen keyboard. You can also log into your old system by entering the GRUB menu at boot, selecting advanced and then the rescue option, finally the root shell option there. From there you can change your user password via

Code: Select all

mount -o rw,remount /
passwd <user>
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Changing passwords is futile when the data is encrypted, it just stops it being unlocked automatically during login...

Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password.
Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

In old-speak "No Tickee No Washee"

Return to “Other topics”